Stocking/Decor Ideas

JassyR

Reaction score
I have a little 4 gallon bowfront tank that was given to me, and I'm looking to get it running! It will have a betta moving in (if he doesn't pass by the time I set it up). I would like to do a light sand substrate, but I'm definitley open to options. I'm on a budget - bigtime. I really wouldn't like to spend more than 50 dollars total. So, give me plant ideas! Substrate ideas! And, I'm looking for a tiny heater and a light. I do already have a low flow filter, but it is obnoxiously large, so I wouldn't be to opposed to getting a new one as long as it fit the budget. If the betta does pass, and it does look like he has a 50% chance, what should I stock the tank with? I'm not really keen on getting another betta until I get my dream 7 gal nano tank.

A 4g tank is really on the small side... you could do a single Betta in there, but I personally wouldn’t. If you want a Betta tank, I would shoot for a 10g tank.

A 4g would make a nice shrimp tank.

——-

As far as substrate goes, I would use sand. It looks better and is much easier to clean than gravel.

If you’re on a budget, a desk lamp (with an adjustable neck) will work well in a tank that small. Most of them are powerful enough to grow beginner plants.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Sand substrate looks really nice, I highly recommend CaribSea Super Natural Crystal River. I got a 10 pound bag for $5

For filter, I would think a small sponge filter would work well. My mom's betta messes around in the bubbles and seems to really like them, as long as it does not run too fast. You would need a small air pump, some airline tubing, and the sponge filter. On Amazon you can get a small Tetra air pump for just $5

I don't unfortunately have any recommendations for a heater.

I agree about a nice little desk lamp working well!

For plants, some nice plants are Amazon Sword, Anubias, Vals, Dwarf Saggitaria, Brazilian Pennywort, and Java Fern. Amazon Swords need root tabs, Anubias can't have its rhizome buried, java fern must be attached to some hardscape not buried or it will rot and die.

I highly recommend YourFishStuff for buying your plants, I have ordered from them 3 times and all plants arrived quickly, in perfect health, and they were very affordable. They have a website and an ebay store, I would highly recommend checking prices on both because they do different sales and prices and you can save several dollars. The plants they sent were massive

I would highly recommend adding a piece of dragon stone or driftwood to your tank, it really makes your tank look more natural!

Sand $5
Pump $5
Airline Tubing $2 (I would look at Walmart if I were you)
Sponge Filter $5
Amazon Sword $5 (mine from YFS came with 3 individual plants! They label theirs Echinodorus Bleheri)
Anubias $6
Dwarf saggitaria $6 for 2 or 3. I would not recommend those from YFS

Now about stocking. I personally feel like between 5 and 10 gallons is BEST for a betta, but a 4 gallon is definitely ok if you provide for the bettas needs (warmth, water quality, mental stimulation, and decent space to swim) . I ask about the tank dimensions just so we can get an idea of how much swimming space he would have. If your betta doesn't make it, I would do shrimp and nerite snails.

What is wrong with the betta that he may not live? My recommendation would be to do daily water changes until you can move him over to the 4 gallon, make sure to dechlorinate any new water. I am assuming he is in something smaller than the 4 gallon right now?

What is wrong with the betta that he may not live? My recommendation would be to do daily water changes until you can move him over to the 4 gallon, make sure to dechlorinate any new water. I am assuming he is in something smaller than the 4 gallon right now?
He is actually currently in a 55 gal that I haven't set up yet... I couldn't bear to put him in a little vase. I filled it up with about 4 inches of water, and it currently has sand and some rando decor from established tanks. Some Dawn soap got into the tank - a long story. I did a little over half for a water change right after, but he wasn't being his usual self. He was VERY lethargic. He was laying on the bottom all day, even when I came up to the glass to check on him. Way out of the realm of his normal behaivor, and he also wouldn't eat. I did another water change, this time about 70 percent. And today he is back to his usual self, eating and playing. I'm still going to keep an eye on him though.

The tank demonsions on the 4 gal are 12.5 by 7 by 9 I think.

Oh no! I am glad he is back to his normal self! He is probably loving all that space! I was assuming he was in a little vase or something, sounds like what you are doing is great though! Your tank dimensions sound like they will give him enough space to swim about

Oh no! I am glad he is back to his normal self! He is probably loving all that space! I was assuming he was in a little vase or something, sounds like what you are doing is great though! Your tank dimensions sound like they will give him enough space to swim about
Yeah, he definitely takes advantage of having the space... After seeing him swim so much, I need to convince the rest of my family they can't be kept in vases ?

Yeah, he definitely takes advantage of having the space... After seeing him swim so much, I need to convince the rest of my family they can't be kept in vases ?
Same here, my younger sisters keep their bettas in 1 gallon bowls:( all I can do is ask them to get them clean water every day. My betta, who has yet to be named haha, has a 10 gallon all to himself (hoping to add some cherry shrimp this week) and he uses every bit of space. It makes me so sad to see them in such small spaces

Same here, my younger sisters keep their bettas in 1 gallon bowls:( all I can do is ask them to get them clean water every day. My betta, who has yet to be named haha, has a 10 gallon all to himself (hoping to add some cherry shrimp this week) and he uses every bit of space. It makes me so sad to see them in such small spaces
That’s a shame. Have you tried to explain to them they need more space? Better yet, I would speak to your parents about it.

That’s a cool name for a Betta! ?

That’s a shame. Have you tried to explain to them they need more space? Better yet, I would speak to your parents about it.
I have, they say “it’s just a fish” “they’re meant to be kept in cups!” “We can’t have more aquariums“ it’s just because they grew up where the common thinking was (and still is) that bettas don’t need a lot to live, they can be kept in cups, and heaters aren’t necessary. I am slowly improving the bettas (Spice, King, and Kiana) living conditions. Kiana and King have 2 gallon bowls and Kiana has a small heater and Spice is in a 1 gallon bowl with some moss balls. Next time we go to our LFS I am going to buy some extra plants so that their bowls are at least planted. I am watching around for a good sale for at least 3.5 gallon tanks for them, but my mom doesn’t want more tanks!
That’s a cool name for a Betta! ?
I know right;)

I have, they say “it’s just a fish” “they’re meant to be kept in cups!” “We can’t have more aquariums“ it’s just because they grew up where the common thinking was (and still is) that bettas don’t need a lot to live, they can be kept in cups, and heaters aren’t necessary.
Lol, it sounds like your talking about my parents

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back