Stocking advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just got a new tank its roughly 240 litres. Its 120 cm long by 45 wide by 55 high. Its half sand and half gravel which is 5mm in diameter. Its heavily planted. I have very soft water with a ph between 6 and 6.6. The only thing in it at the moment is 6 kribensis and a pair of juvenile angels what else could i put in it. Any ideas welcome

I just tested my tap water - wait to see this mess

KH 22
GH 15

Limerick is very bad for lines are in the water.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just got a new tank its roughly 240 litres. Its 120 cm long by 45 wide by 55 high. Its half sand and half gravel which is 5mm in diameter. Its heavily planted. I have very soft water with a ph between 6 and 6.6. The only thing in it at the moment is 6 kribensis and a pair of juvenile angels what else could i put in it. Any ideas welcome
Id rehome the Angels. Angels are a shoaling fish that belong in groups of at least 6 which require at least a 100 gallon tank. Not only that but once they reach breeding age they will be super territorial and aggressive to other fish in tank, which for now are Kribs which are also territorial breeders. I see lots of fighting and eggs getting eaten.
Sorry to be the bearer if bad news, a lot of stores sell angek fish without explaing their care and or needs. If the angels arent a bonded pair theyll most likely kill eachother when they reach maturity. If they are both the same sex two males or two females they will also fight and harass eachother.
Id suggest rehoming the angels or taking them back and focusing finding fish that are compatible with Kribs.kribs can also gey nippy and slow moving angels with long fins are easy targets

Last edited:
I have other tanks the angels are their as a grow out i cant even sex them yet

The kribs have been fine theirs enough territory in the tank for them. 2 pairs have already bred

I have other tanks the angels are their as a grow out i cant even sex them yet
Its not the Kribs one need worry about its the Angels. Angels are slow moving and have longer fins, the Kribs will have zero problems chasing nipping and bullying the Angels.
Kribs and Angels in the same tank is just asking for trouble on both ends and stress for them and you, stressed fish are more prone to disease which leads to death.
As said id rehome the angels and seperate them from the Kribs.

Ill move them it to my other tank so what about my stocking what would ye put innit

I agree with @utahfish I had a bonded pair of angelfish in a 55 gallon tank and they can be very aggressive and are shoaling fish needing a group of 5-6 unless you are lucky to have a bonded pair like I had. My angelfish grew to be about 6 inches (body) They were constantly chasing other fish out of their territory.

Ill move them it to my other tank so what about my stocking what would ye put innit
Dither fish, Danios always make good dither fish. Cherry barbs would be ok as mid level tankmates as they arent as aggressive as tiger barbs. If one goes with cherry barbs they need to be 3 females for every 1 male. Your soft water is suited for most tetras so maybe some larger tetras like serpaes ,lemons, blues, phantoms, stay away from any long fin variety. Those may be options.

Are pictus too big
Yes definitely, pictus are too big. In my opinion pictus dont even belong in the hobby. Nor are they dither fish, they are bottom dwelling cat fish that will eat all your kribs babies and eggs and the kribs wont bevable to do anything about it except get stressed out and die.
The kribs are the star of your tank as is, adding other larger fish that are predatory or aggressive will stress your kribs out.
One wants to find fish that will help the kribs feel comfortable and or fish that are no threat to eating harrassing the adults.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back