Stocking Advice

you'd probably want a few more tigerbarbs than 6
 
i completedley aggree with Curiosity101 first post. except instaed of getting tigers, get gold barbs

they are virtually impossible to kill, and they are peaceful (have them in with 6 of the rainbows you want), and they get pretty decent at around three inches. trust me a flash of yellow in your tank would be an eye cather. also or me instead of loaches i would IMO get more of everything else. i preferebly like a bunch of littler fish than a few monsters, i think its cuz i gots the ADD and the big fish swim slow :shout:

but if ou wanna stick with your own list, good for you.

or if you want, ditch the small fish and get 3 bala sharks along with the clowns and get 3 bigish catfish like croaker sized. i think you might need to go a little bigger though f you do this.

have fun! and please excuse the errors, its 11 o clock over here.

the pic of the loch reminded me of a sheep for some reason
 
Hi guys,

I can't tell you how helpful it was logging-on this morning to check this thread and seeing so much good, helpful advice. Thanks very much everybody who has contributed.

Everything considered, I've reluctantly decided not to go for the Clown Loaches unless I can get a suitably sized (i.e. 6-foot) tank for them from day one. It seems unlikely that I'd have the time or inclination to look after a 6-foot tank as well as a 350-litre tank (or whatever size tank I get next year) on top of the two tanks I already have (a 60-litre and a 120-litre). And despite my impatient side telling me to just do it anyway I've decided to say "maybe someday..." and look at other options based on some of the suggestions posted here.

Since I'd only really included the Tiger Barbs so that I could reduce the size of the school of Clown Loaches (although apparently this isn't true), I've removed these along with the Clown Loaches and am thinking about something like the following:

1 x Angel Fish
1 x Pearl or Opaline Gourami (or possibly 3; 1m:2f)
4 - 6 x Yoyo Loach
8 x Peppered Catfish

Plus two schools of 12 – 15 of either Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Gold Barbs or Harlequin Rasboras

Obviously this is now almost completely different from the original stocking plan so it feels kind of like I'm starting afresh. I am a little concerned about over-stocking as this would be a total adult length of 125.9" of fish if I went with all the upper limits I've suggested although none of them are especially large fish so hopefully they shouldn't require an especially large tank in terms of dimensions.

Does this seem like a more sensible stock list? Please let me know any thoughts/ comments/ suggestions you may have!

Many thanks,
Dan
 
That is a much better stocking idea.

A nice large angel will create a good focal point in the tank and the two large shoals will compliment that great. :good:

I know how hard it is not being able to have the fish you really want, I'm limited alot more than you with only currently having room for my 125L tank at the moment but really its just a matter of putting the fishes needs before our wants.

In that sizes tank I'd have either more cories or some type of plec. You could easily fit 15-20 cories in that tank, the larger the group of cories the livlier they will be and more fun to watch.

Andy
 
It depends what filtration you have and what your water change routine is like as to how much you can comfortably push stocking.

If you got 600-800l worth of filtration, did at least 20% changes a week and had some plants in there then I see no problems with you proposed stocking. And completely agree with arobinsons suggestions.

Oh one thing though, I'd get the gourami as a single, they dont need company of their own species to be happy.

1 x Angel Fish
1 x Pearl or Opaline Gourami
6 x Yoyo Loach
10 x Peppered Catfish
15 x Rainbows or Harlequins or 12 x Gold Barbs

I wouldn't add anything more than that for the first 6 months, but after the first 6months and once everyone has grown quite a bit you can assess whether the bottom of the tank looks really empty, or if the top levels look empty etc.
Afterall it's easier to add fish than take away.
Infact you might want to start with a shoal of 10 rainbows or harlequins. Or 8 gold barbs.
That way if you decided you wanted a different group aswell (after the 6 months), you've got plenty of room for another shoal of 10 of something...or simply up the numbers you have at the time.
Eitherways even with the suggested stocking above you've still got some room to play with. Probably a plec for the bottom....and another shoal/up the numbers in current ones...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top