Stocking Advice

Thanks again, I was told by my lfs that by adding stress zyme to the filter sponges, this would speed up beneficial bacteria growth and help to speed up development. On the bottle it reads: "Biological Filtration Booster". You are also correct in thinking it can be added weekly, the bottle claims this helps to keep the aquarium clean.

The tank is looking great now, water is crystal clear, temperatures are steady and I'm rather pleased with my home made hood, which greatly enhances the light form the 15w T8.

I made the hood from a piece of the modern guttering, with guttering end caps glued on each end. this was then sprayed flat black on the outside. I left the inside white to reflect and light, and covered most of inside with inside with super high reflective vinyl. This whole setup was then mounted at each end by some H clips.

I like you're Idea with the Java fern and grassy plants, that should add the look of depth nicley.

Jonathan
 
Pictures of the hood before the reflector was added. I still need to find some clips to hold the light in, suction cups at the moment!

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00058.jpg


Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I only have access to a camera phone whilst the digital is broken :(

Jonathan
 
have you decided on stocking yet? i think a pair of blue rams and a shoal of six tetras such as neons or cardinals would be great.
 
Yup, I have decided on a pair of blue rams, just need to add more hidey holes for them. Would I benefit from a clown loach or something similar to help keep things clean? Otherwise, I'll most likely buy some shoaling fish.

I couldn't resist, went out today and bought a few plants to get things started:

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00061.jpg


Comments and Critisism welcome

Jonathan
 
clown loaches wont be suitable for your tank, as they can get upto 14".

but if you want some algae eaters, you could try otos or shrimp. :good:

or a shoal (6+) or pygmy corys. :good:
 
You need to plant the tank or at least add some decor (not toys) and a backing to the tank would help no end. Fish will act far more normally if they feel secure and not out in the open all the time.
 
Yup, I have decided on a pair of blue rams, just need to add more hidey holes for them. Would I benefit from a clown loach or something similar to help keep things clean? Otherwise, I'll most likely buy some shoaling fish.


You need to plant the tank or at least add some decor (not toys) and a backing to the tank would help no end. Fish will act far more normally if they feel secure and not out in the open all the time.


:P
 
Thanks! Yes the tank needs lots more before its fish ready. I'm planning a decent sized piece of bogwood to be the main focal point. this should provide some places for the fish to hide. I will also be adding rocks and make some caves.

Thanks for all of the help chaps, any advice on a background or backing? Should I look for dark or light colours?

Thanks

Jonathan
 
Thanks for all of the help chaps, any advice on a background or backing? Should I look for dark or light colours?

welcome. :good:

I'd go for a black background, make the fish stand out.

Or even a dark blue. :good:
 
Just had a quick mock up with some acyrilic I had spare, Black definatly looks best. I shall buy a nice black background soon. I'll also be buying more bogwood. Does anyone have any advice in how to treat bogwood to stop it dirtying the water? I heard leaving it in boiling water every day helps.

The piece in there at the moment was luckily from a mature aquarium, and is a good 4 years old.

Jonathan
 
Soaking and boiling for a few weeks gets rid of the tannins. However, the tannis is not detrimental to the tank so there is no need to get rid of it. :shout:
 
Ok thanks.

I'm actually still not sure now on the stocking, in two minds on the ram's.

I'll take a few trips to the lfs to help me dicide, I feel I'll most likely decide there.

Jonathan
 
yeah, clown loaches will become way too big. plus, they're not really an algae eater.

as said above, shrimp or otos are better for algae control, although they will need food.

i personally wouldn't get cories, because if you do get shrimp or otos they will compete for food slightly. rams also tend to spend alot of time towards the bottom of the tank so all of the action will be at the bottom.

a shol of harlequin rasboras or neon tetras would be good.
 
Kind of mixed feelings today.

My parents returned from the lfs, without me knowing, with a pair of blue dwarf gouramis. They are a beautiful pair, male is very bright and female seems gold rather than silver. I still don't think my tank has enough cover for them, but after they were eventually introduced to the tank they have settled in very well.

They are swimming as a pair, and are very playful. They surface very now and again as healthy gouramis should. They are still small, female around 1" and the male just a touch longer.

Should I keep this pair as the only two in the tank? and I will add more plants / bogwood/ cover for them as soon as possible.

Any help appreciated.

Jonathan
 
The consensus seems to be to keep dwarves in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females, though I've heard of people who just keep the pairs. And how long did you say your tank has been set up? Dwarves are best added to a mature tank, not a newly cycled one as they tend to die off easily. Its worth checking out one of the stickies in the gourami section of the forum.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top