Stocking A Saltwater Tank 55 Gallon =) (Help)(Advice Please)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pokegirl1332

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
alright I've been doing a lot of posts on this so far but want lots of opinions =) I know some fish i definitely want in my tank which are
3 Carpenters or McCoskers flasher wrasse - 3” - 1 male , 2 female
2 black ice ocellaris clownfish - 3”
yellow candy hogfish - 4”
1 orchid dotty back - 3”
1 flame angel - 4”
I definitely don't want to overstock but i am very on point with water changes so water quality shouldn't be much of a problem I just want opinions and advice, if anyone has ever kept these fish before and how they were/are.
also thinking about a
hoevens/melanarus wrasse (I love the colors of this fish but i don't know 100% if they will get along with the flasher wrasse but from everything i've found reading about this combo on the internet and lfs I think they would?)
alleni/neon damsels - 3” from what I've read so far these aren't like most damsels and they are actually more like chromis in nature and rather peaceful I know this is still generally speaking since all fish are different but I want honest opinions from anyone that has had or may know about this fish. I love the color and I think it would be perfect as long as it would get along with everything so far that I would want
I know that MOST damsels are like the devil but I want to know if these might be an exception? if so how many should i keep if i got them? 1? 3? 5? (5 might be too much though)
I also have plans to upgrade sometime within this year to maybe a 75/100 or more? don't know yet.

forgot to mention this is for my 55 gallon tank and I'm not going to overstock these are just fish that I want and have done lots of research on and have narrowed it down too =) just need help deciding exactly what to do

What type of setup? I am assuming either a FO or FOWLR?

A few things to consider:
  • Any Flasher Wrasse is suggested at 30 gal, with 10 gal for each additional fish.  You mentioned 3 total, that would be 50 gal of your 55 gal tank.
  • Clowns are very fast eaters and may not leave enough for the wrasse
  • Dottybacks are generally bullies towards wrasse and other smaller stock
  • For the Flame Angel, you need a FOWLR tank, not a FO tank
If you are set on keeping these, I think you will find a larger tank of 100gal to be better suited.

Unfortunately I've not kept the specific fish you're interested in, but I've also got a 55gal. Although it might seem like a big tank size, the reality is that it's still on the small end for marine fish-keeping and you can have your stocking limited by territory for the fish, not just bioload. Also, bear in mind that you likely won't be getting full-sized fish (many species are sold as juvis or at least not-full-sized adults), so plan enough room for them to grow. For example, my 55gal tank has only 5 fish in it: a pair of chalk basslets, a yellow damsel (Pomacentrus sp.), a PJ cardinal, and a red-stripe cardinal - that's basically at the tank's limit for territories now that the fish are all full-sized even though the tank could easily support a higher bioload. Do be careful stocking multiple damsels, since there will not be loads of space for them to get away from each other if things turn sour. Although I've not kept the particular species you're interested in, the ones I have kept are generally considered to be more peaceful ones and I've seen that it can go from happy to fin-ripping pretty fast and unexpectedly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back