Stocking A 5 Gallon?

peacock_101

New Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Points
0
i have a 5 gallon with a bushy plant. Any stocking suggestions?

SiMoN
 
Does it have heating and a filter ?
 
oh yeah sorry, Fluval tronic heater, AquaPlus 20 external power filter. Stuff like that!
 
-_- AquaPlus 20 external power filter

Is extremly unsual to have an external filter on a 5 gallon tank. Is this some kind of hob filter ?

With a filtered / heated 5 gallon your options are probably limited to what you can actually find at your lfs. But perhaps a betta and a adf is your best option.

There are some other that will work, but might be hard to find for you. You could for instance also keep a small group of male endlers in there or just some plants and shrimp.
 
Your tank is begging for a Crown-Tail betta.
 
Another option is heterandria formosa, a tiny livebearer that is quite hardy. Hasn't got the splendid colours of the male guppy, but otherwise seems a very attractive little fish.
 
Standard 5g list:

1 Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus; no, I'm not being snooty, 'dwarf puffer' is applied to lots of puffers in my area, and Carinotetraodon travancoricus is called far more than DP in my area as well).

1 Betta (male or female, most prefer males), 2 African Dwarf frogs.
1 Betta, 1 Apple Snail (apple snails, with a bit of give, need about 2g per adult snail, depending on the type and your filtration and yadda yadda).
1 Betta (so many colors, tail types, species!)

1-3 Endlers (http://swampriveraquatics.com/ if you're in the USA)

I've heard of a single guppy being recommended, but I've also heard that guppies generally prefer 10g+ and/or 20g+, and or 1g+... so who who knows what's what, that'd probably requrie further research.

Snailariums or Shrimp habitats have always been an idea that charmed me, personally. I think shrimps are nifty, they're so active and so interesting. I've also found the idea of planting and cultivating a 5g very charming, and then simply introducing a single apple snail (brig., the species that prefers to eat softer/nonalive plants) to the mix.

A few other people suggested 3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, and then the suggestion as immediately discredited by others who believe that WCMMs have big wander-lust like Danios, and need large tanks to be happy.

Either way, the more complicated your inhabitants, the more complicated the care.

I have 1 male betta and 3 ADFs in one of my 5.5g's, and 1 male betta with an apple snail pending for a 5.3g. I like simple, low care tanks, because I realize my attention span can sometimes be greatly hindered by... shiney metal objects. :D
 
thanx for the ideas. i live in moncton, new brunswick and there are NO good fish stores only (only called 2 "pets unlimited" it's a hagen store) ! Any ideas for something kool?
 
thanx for the ideas. i live in moncton, new brunswick and there are NO good fish stores only (only called 2 "pets unlimited" it's a hagen store) ! Any ideas for something kool?

You already have 3 platies in there, which are really too active/big for a 5 US gal tank anyways :| .
 
I like all of soritan's suggestions! Personally, I would have a betta or make it a shrimp tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top