Stock suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks for the help so far, I do have a floating plant on the shopping list but my only worry was that it would cause too much shade for the plants underneath?

Thanks for the help so far, I do have a floating plant on the shopping list but my only worry was that it would cause too much shade for the plants underneath?

That can sometimes be an issue, but not here, in my view. The welfare of the fish are of prime importance anyway, and the benefits of floating plants really cannot be overstated. My sword plants thrive with a thick covering of Water Sprite on the surface.

So I went to my LFS today to have a look at what they stock and see what my son likes the look of. I like the idea of some hatchet fish but from what I have read they need a lid on to stop them escaping and I don't have one. Is this correct?
Then Tetra's, they had quite a few different ones, and going away from the cardinals/ neons that seem to have more problems than the others. I like the rummynose ones, they also had some lampeye ones, thoughts on these two?
Harlequin rasbora would these be suitable for my setup and in an aquarium with tetras and shrimp?
Then finally oto's? Can they live with shrimp?
Thanks for any help/ info

I like the idea of some hatchet fish but from what I have read they need a lid on to stop them escaping and I don't have one. Is this correct?

Yes. I have had several different species of hatchetfish over the 30+ years, and on a few occasions when I have foolishly left the tank cover opened after feeding in the day, the next morning one or more will be on the floor, dead dry.

Then Tetra's, they had quite a few different ones, and going away from the cardinals/ neons that seem to have more problems than the others. I like the rummynose ones, they also had some lampeye ones, thoughts on these two?

Rummynose (Petitella bleheri, often still seen incorrectly as Hemigrammus bleheri) are lovely, but very sensitive...they do go very well with cardinals. "Lampeye" can refer to more than one fish, including non-tetras. If this is a "tetra" it may be the species Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, see the pictures and info in the SF link:
A pretty fish, but one with serious problems. It can be a fin nipper, so it cannot be housed with sedate fish.

Harlequin rasbora would these be suitable for my setup and in an aquarium with tetras and shrimp?

Most rasboras are peaceful fish, and relatively quiet (not active swimmers). The Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) is fine, though if this were me I would look for one of the two related species, T. espei or T. hengeli; these two are both a tad smaller, and quite striking, especially the latter with its shining copper "axe" outline.

Then finally oto's? Can they live with shrimp?

Yes on the shrimp...otos remain on surfaces, especially plant leaves, eating common algae. But that brings up their detriment...many die soon after arrival in the store or your home aquarium, because of the insufficient supply of algae. They are wild caught, and all but starved following the capture/transport/store tank. If they do settle in with live algae present, they will usually learn to feed from sinking algae or kelp-based wafers. I would certainly wait for the tank to establish (a couple months) before considering otos.

Rummynose Tetras are great, get a group of 5, they tend to dwell in the bottom 3rd of my tank. I have Purple Harlequin Rasboras which are great fish and tend to stay in in the middle 3rd. I'd go for a small group of Guppys to add some colour, they usually tend to stay in toward the top 3rd of the tank. All are active fish and should work well together. Would echo previous advise re the Otos, let some algae form first.

Ok so will leave the oto's and shrimp until my tank has been established for a lot longer.
What would you say are the 'hardiest' tetras to go for?
Can you point me in the direction of stock sizes I should be going for, as in overall for my 100ltr tank. I understand that all of the above should be in shoals.

Ok so will leave the oto's and shrimp until my tank has been established for a lot longer.
What would you say are the 'hardiest' tetras to go for?
Can you point me in the direction of stock sizes I should be going for, as in overall for my 100ltr tank. I understand that all of the above should be in shoals.

I don't like to think of fish being hardy or not, as this all depends upon what one deems "hardy" to mean, and there is often some detrimental issue in behaviour or compatibility with so-called "hardy" tetras, etc. You have very soft water, so options abound, given the tank size. I still would get some floating plants though, as all the suitable fish will be appreciative and this means less problems acclimating them.

Several species have been mentioned earlier in this thread, and it would help to have some ideas what you consider worthy of having. Most will be shoaling, so a group of 10-12 in most cases is what you want to consider.

I was thinking you could have 1 male dwarf gourami (any variant) a small school of neon tetras (or black neons) a shoal of kuhli loaches (in reality you don't need sand. DON'T JUDGE ME) and a brigade of ghost shrimp.

Hello
Ive found Neons to be easier to look after than Cardinals. They look very similar but they are different, both quite simple but neons marginally easier.

"Shrimp compatible mates" blogs are going to be your late night reading then.

People have lots of different experience with shrimp, giving them cover and hiding sports and breaking sight lines can open up stocking options.

If you get enough shrimp to sustain a colony the loss of some shrimp fry may not be an issue.

Many forget to think of stocking options of the different levels. Think for the lower third, eg your shrimp, or corys, oto, kuhli loaches etc, then move on to mid level and then the upper,

that way you could have a balanced tank.

Remember to keep a nice group of Neons together, look great when they move as a group.

Good Luck
Hello Everyone 👋🏾 I'm new to this forum but I have a couple of questions about my gouramis and cichlid also I have a fish but don't know the type can anyone help

Thanks in advance

Not bumblebee but the cichlid looking one he's grey with shades of yellow and bright blue bottom with tiger stripes on his top

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_081719953.jpg
    IMG_20220122_081719953.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 23
Not bumblebee but the cichlid looking one he's grey with shades of yellow and bright blue bottom with tiger stripes on his top
Hi and welcome to the forum, I can not help with cichlids at all but I would recommend starting a new thread instead of taking over another thread. If you need help with making a thread just tag me!

Yes please help I'm new to this.
So if you go to the home page of the forum you should see a green button near the top that says "Post Thread". Click that and it will take you to the place where you make the thread and then give the thread a title and then start writing your thread in the larger typing section.

So if you go to the home page of the forum you should see a green button near the top that says "Post Thread". Click that and it will take you to the place where you make the thread and then give the thread a title and then start writing your thread in the larger typing section.
Thank you so much after that I just wait for the responses.. right

Yup! People will respond. Sometimes its a few minutes other times its a few hours and sometimes its a whole day. It just depends on who is available at the moment
Thank you so much after that I just wait for the responses.. right

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back