Still Finally Done!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Still looking on some consensus on the ammonia issues!

My current stocking plan for my 10 gallon heavy planted tank:
1 Betta
4 Cory Cats (not sure what type, presumably the smallest)
5-6 shrimp (or shrimps? how do you say it, shrimp or shrimps? Sheep... Sheeps?)

I'm glad you guys think my stock list looks good :D I really am quite flattered. I heard how intelligent bettas are, how active cories can be, and how entertaining shrimp can be and kinda added it together in my head biggrin.gif (what got me on the shrimp is the thread of the shrimp stealing the algae wafer and running around the tank to benny hill music ><)

I guess the consensus is to get the betta and shrimp in one go, let it acclimate to that bioload, then go for the cories. My question on this would be that i'm feeding my tank about 2.5-3ppm worth of ammonia every twelve hours. Would a betta and shrimp produce an equivalent amount of ammonia? If they don't, wouldnt adding the cories late produce an appreciable ammonia/nitrite spike without the proper amount of bacteria? Or am i just being to paranoid ><

My girlfriend also mentioned that one betta doesnt provide much of a centerpiece fish (cories don't count, they're earth toned don-cha-know :p) are there any small, colourful, solo fish that would jive with my tank and my betta?

(For the record, i dont much like ADF, to me their as entertaining as a piece of wet bread, not to mention the fact that they get big, are often mislabled, and this is a fish tank, not a amphibian tank tongue2.gif)

(For the record again, i havent gotten any of these fish yet as i'm still waiting on a bit more consensus from you peoples biggrin.gif)

I bought some melafix and flubenol 15(to kill the snails i have)

Should i dose with melafix when i put in my new fish to help stave off any infections they may get from stress?

I personally don't medicate if nothing is wrong with the new tennants. Be extra careful of medication with shrimp as a planned tennant. Tho I have used melafix and they came through ok.
Shrimp are probably the most sensitive of the fauna you want to add. It may be best to add them last of all. Bettas do not produce much waste, nor do Corydoras in my experience. I recall a discussion with you before re: flubenol and shrimps, hope that works out ok :)
Depending on the size of the tank a Betta makes an excellent centerpiece in my opinion, they have plenty of personality :wub: tho currently all of my fish are playing in the filter flow at the back of this cube.. lol

I bought some melafix and flubenol 15(to kill the snails i have)

Should i dose with melafix when i put in my new fish to help stave off any infections they may get from stress?

I replied to this last time but I'm sure the shrimp would be better coming into the tank last seeing as they can be really sensitive.

Also you need too buy them reasonably large or the Betta will eat them.

Tell your missus that Bettas are awesome, beautiful fish incorrectly labelled as aggressive and non community. Mine follows similar sized fish everywhere and only 'flares' when they are having a bit of the love bug. Gets Jealous.

Its really funy when you see them 'rest' They have to put so much effort into swimmage due to the 'drag' factor of their fins that they will stop and rest on something for a while (mine sits on top of the filter at night).

Theis defeats the object because with them being labyrinth fish they have to keep getting out of their 'chair' to go to the surface.lol

If they were human they'd be signing and cursing all day long. lol

Be sure to post some pics when they're all settled in.

Andy

I'll get the shrimp last then :D
Don't bettas have gills as well? I thought the labyrinth organ was an accessory?

Lol, my missus. It'll be a year today :D

I'll get the shrimp last then :D
Don't bettas have gills as well? I thought the labyrinth organ was an accessory?

Lol, my missus. It'll be a year today :D

Can't answer that. I just see him resting then up for a gulp then rest then up for a gulp. lol

(Before anyone suggests that he's struggling for air, the other fish are not staying near the surfae.lol)

Melafix must be used at half dose with Bettas because of their labyrinth (Not taken from any facts i have read, but advice given on here)

I could see why, melafix at that concentration could be absorbed much faster through gills and a labyrinth than just gills alone.

Update!

Just got back from the lfs (sorta local, about an hour away lol) with 4 albino cory cats (too freakin cute, they want out of their bag SO bad) and a betta, not sure which kind of tail he has, i'll try for pics but it looks rather longish, more boxy and paralellagram looking than round, he's blue, red, white, and black. Beautiful.
They unfortunately didnt have any ghost shrimp (or amano for that matter) not that i was going to get them... never hurts to look though...

Pics coming up soon, have to take about 90 then get the 2 that arent totally crap lol

good to hear that everything is going well for you :thumbs: as for your question about the labyrinth organ, it is actually the dominant means of respiration for anabantids (bettas & gouramis). which means that if a betta or a gourami is ever denied access to the surface of the water for a prolonged period of time, they'll drown--something to keep in mind when bagging up fish for transportation.

my apologies for any "misspelling". :p can't wait to see those pics!!

Lol, we're practically married (dont live together, but are always seen together etc)

Having trouble taking pictures. Hard to describe whats happening, other than the pictures suck. Blurry and dark, or sharp and washed out...

Pictures!

Cory cats hanging out. Weird reflections from all around the tank. See if you can spot the following: A sock, a portion of a pen, a knife, a betta container, a bottle of ammonia, and a small african gnu!
2vdl7qa.jpg

See, you CAN get artsy with betta pictures :D This is right after he took a breath.
47w9d9x.jpg

Cory cat checking out a bit of phone wire. Also giving me the psychotic cory eye.
2v9vs3t.jpg

Mr. Betta likes to do three things so far. Play in the filter current. Breath. And grapple with his reflection. :lol:
The four cories like to do three things as well. Gnosh about on the gravel. Swim up and down the glass at various places and speeds. Occasionally rocket up to the top of the water line, splash/exit the water, go back to gnoshing about.

They all look fine and healthy so far. All are breathing alright, noone is acting too weird (unless temporary psychosis on the cories part is weird) and aside from one cory sulking behind my ship, all are out and about and seemingly quite outgoing.

PS I'm guessing cories dont have much of a swimbladder, if they have one at all.

Mr. Betta likes to do three things so far. Play in the filter current. Breath. And grapple with his reflection. :lol:
The four cories like to do three things as well. Gnosh about on the gravel. Swim up and down the glass at various places and speeds. Occasionally rocket up to the top of the water line, splash/exit the water, go back to gnoshing about.

I love it when mines does that. Gets in the current, gets blown away and comes back for more.

Its like the boxer taking a beating but keeps getting up, saying didn't hurt me, didn't hurt me. oooh you bu**er ya got me again, didn't hurt me, and on and on. They never learn. lol

glad it's all going well, and congrats on your anniversary :good:

When the cories gulp air that's usually just them getting some air in their gut to help digest dinner. It's amazing how fast they suddenly move when they want to surface tho :) Why don't they get whiplash ? :lol:

Nice Betta you picked, he's very handsome. Great photos too, I suck at taking fish photos so I'm always impressed to see nice pics :)

Shrimp wise have you considered Cherry Red ? or Tiger ? or Bumble Bee ? I would say crystal red but they're extortionately expensive :blink:

The stocking on your tank is pretty much the same as my cube, I just have smaller corys but more of them :D No shrimp yet either, need to let it mature for a couple of months.

*Edit just noticed you had a couple of other questions...

Yes, Bettas do have gills and can breathe under water normally. If the water they are in is highly oxygenated they won't surface as much for a breath. The Labyrinth organ is there to supplement that allowing them to breath atmospheric oxygen. Of course oxygenated water tends to be fast flowing, which bettas don't like ... catch-22 situation :)

On the subject of melafix dosing it's not so much that you need to use a half dose as be careful not to overdose it. Normally an overdose of melafix is no big deal but some Bettas do seem to be sensitive to it. I think the half dose thing largely came from the fact that Betta fix is one fifth of the solution strength. The reason for that is mostly to make it easier to dose smaller Betta type containers. (it's hard to medicate a 1 gallon jar :/). I've used full strength melafix dosing when treating my Betta before with no problems. If anything the labyrinth organ is a bonus while medicating since medicine reduces the available O2 in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back