Starting to collect house plants!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello. I have started collecting houseplants! I used to have a spider plant, but it wasn’t looking great when I bought it and just did not do well. Add a whole two weeks of no care (vacation) and the thing is long gone. So now I have a golden pothos sitting on my tank. I have a birthday coming up, then there’s Christmas. Over time I am hoping to get

monstera deliciosa (Swiss cheese plant)
monstera adonasii (Swiss cheese vine)
parlor fern
fiddle leaf fig
zz plant
snake plant
spider plant
boston fern
succulents

the plants have varying humidity needs, so I plan to have them in different areas of my bedroom. Unfortunately I can’t have any outside my bedroom because many of them are toxic to dogs. My bedroom is off limits to the dogs, for the most part. Griffin (my aussie) is allowed in there only if I’m in there.

A photo of my lovely little golden pothos to come

Last edited:
How lovely, I'm a bit of a collector (hoarder) of houseplants myself so I shall be keeping an eye on this thread. A nice few plants that's you've decided on there, I would add Phalaenopsis orchid to your list, they are soooo easy to care for and the flowers last for weeks. A channel I like to watch on YouTube is Planterina, check it out if you haven't already 😊

I love houseplants, but sadly I’m still trying to master the art of watering and not many survive for long 😢.

I manage to keep most other living things alive…children, cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, fish, guinea pigs…just not plants…

Snake plants and spider plants are the best :D Peace lilies and swiss cheese plants are cool too, I'd love to have them someday (hopefully soon)
Snake plants never die, ever. You can't overwater them, you can't underwater them, you can have too much or too little light, etc.
I'm collecting them, so far I have 1, but I'm adding another one today, and hopefully have all the verities in 5 months lol
oh, to be a Snake plant

How lovely, I'm a bit of a collector (hoarder) of houseplants myself so I shall be keeping an eye on this thread. A nice few plants that's you've decided on there, I would add Phalaenopsis orchid to your list, they are soooo easy to care for and the flowers last for weeks. A channel I like to watch on YouTube is Planterina, check it out if you haven't already 😊
Oooh, I will have to check them out! Thanks. I will look into that orchid!
I love houseplants, but sadly I’m still trying to master the art of watering and not many survive for long 😢.

I manage to keep most other living things alive…children, cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, fish, guinea pigs…just not plants…
Aw haha. I got a neat little book of house plant profiles, it describes how often and how to care for them with specific instructions for each plant. I am hoping I can keep some alive!
Snake plants and spider plants are the best :D Peace lilies and swiss cheese plants are cool too, I'd love to have them someday (hopefully soon)
Snake plants never die, ever. You can't overwater them, you can't underwater them, you can have too much or too little light, etc.
I'm collecting them, so far I have 1, but I'm adding another one today, and hopefully have all the verities in 5 months lol
oh, to be a Snake plant
Snake plants are lovely. I love the variegated ones! Spider plants are awesome how the little baby plants hang down. I got my spider plant and planned to put it in my hamsters cage as I know many people do, but the plant died before I ever got around to it.

collecting house plants will never be as cool as collecting hot pepper plants :cool:
you'll always have an arsenal of meal killers, in case you ever need to get revenge

Have a bunch of house plants, have had a couple for decades.

Here are the oldest plants.

This is my Mom's Aurelia, we thing its the black beauty variety. It is around 50 years old and she started it from a small branch a friend gave her. Las house had vaulted celings and this was almost 20 feet tall. Had to cut her before we moved and I had some cutting turn ito 5 great plants that I had to beg for people to take-they didn't know what they were getting!
Please ignore the construction, we are doing some DIY work to the house-its a work in progress and neverending clusterF.
IMG_20211025_145704729.jpg

This is my x-mas cactus (blooming jus in time for Halloween!) It was my Grandmas and I have had it since she passed in 1998.
IMG_20211025_145550881.jpg

These are my cycads. I know...cycads in IL, your crazy! No I became facinated with them when I was in a Botany class for my BA in Bio. When I saw them as little bonsai at my local orange box harware store I bought them. Twenty some years later look at them now! (BTW this is my second year with the Zamia Furfuracea (cardboard cycad) producing a cone, I am so proud and wish there was a mature male plant nearby to fertilize it.)
IMG_20211025_145555063_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145559307_HDR.jpg

This is my Cycas revoluta; aka Sago Plam (cycad). (S)he needs to be trimmed once her old growth dries out. She is a bit faster growing than the Zamia, but hasn't matured enough to produce any reproductive structures. They are truly facinating plants from the time of dinosaurs.
IMG_20211025_145721909.jpg

This is my Jade plant. Mom had many Jade plants of similar sizes when I was a pre-teen. One day I took a leaf and started my own plant, and look at it now, its also 25+ years old.
IMG_20211025_145643706.jpg

When they are happy they flower...
IMG_20211025_145650096.jpg

The plants (except the aurelia) spent the summer outside so the jade is going to drop half a dozen to a dozen leaves in protest by Thanksgiving (late November).
These are our younger plants. The majority of them are orchids ( I have a vanilla plant- not pictured, in my box turtle's enclosure-lol) and two monstera.
There is also a pitcher plant and the aloes and Haworthia succulents that will be going into my snakes new home.
IMG_20211025_145800000_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145805725.jpg

IMG_20211025_145811640_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145814923_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145604429.jpg

IMG_20211025_145608499.jpg

IMG_20211025_145910452_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145925072_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145915950_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145935600_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145942558_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_145838115_HDR.jpg

She has the orchids in a portable greenhouse for the winter. Sorry to photo bomb you thread but what my point is:

Mom's love for plants rubbed off on me and my Sister, and I hope your new love for houseplants leads you to great success!

Last edited:
View attachment 146296
View attachment 146297
View attachment 146298
View attachment 146299
She has the orchids in a portable greenhouse for the winter. Sorry to phot bomb you thread but what my pont is:

Mom’s love for plants rubbed off on my and my Sister, and I hope your new love for houseplants leads you to great success!
Have a bunch of house plants, have had a couple for decades.

Here are the oldest plants.

This is my Mom's Aurelia, we thing its the black beauty variety. It is around 50 years old and she started it from a small branch a friend gave her. Las house had vaulted celings and this was almost 20 feet tall. Had to cut her before we moved and I had some cutting turn ito 5 great plants that I had to beg for people to take-they didn't know what they were getting!
Please ignore the construction, we are doing some DIY work to the house-its a work in progress and neverending clusterF.
View attachment 146280
This is my x-mas cactus (blooming jus in time for Halloween!) It was my Grandmas and I have had it since she passed in 1998.
View attachment 146281
These are my cycads. I know...cycads in IL, your crazy! No I became facinated with them when I was in a Botany class for my BA in Bio. When I saw them as little bonsai at my local orange box harware store I bought them. Twenty some years later look at them now! (BTW this is my second year with the Zamia Furfuracea (cardboard cycad) producing a cone, I am so proud and wish there was a mature male plant nearby to fertilize it.)
View attachment 146282
View attachment 146283
This is my Cycas revoluta; aka Sago Plam (cycad). (S)he needs to be trimmed once her old growth dries out. She is a bit faster growing than the Zamia, but hasn't matured enough to produce any reproductive structures. They are truly facinating plants from the time of dinosaurs.
View attachment 146285
This is my Jade plant. Mom had many Jade plants of similar sizes when I was a pre-teen. One day I took a leaf and started my own plant, and look at it now, its also 25+ years old.
View attachment 146286

When they are happy they flower...
View attachment 146287
The plants (except the aurelia) spent the summer outside so the jade is going to drop half a dozen to a dozen leaves in protest by Thanksgiving (late November).
These are our younger plants. The majority of them are orchids ( I have a vanilla plant- not pictured, in my box turtle's enclosure-lol) and two monstera.
There is also a pitcher plant and the aloes and Haworthia succulents that will be going into my snakes new home.
View attachment 146288
View attachment 146289
View attachment 146290

View attachment 146291

View attachment 146292
View attachment 146293
View attachment 146294
View attachment 146295
Wow! Those are incredible plants. That Aurelia is gorgeous. Cant believe it’s 50 years old!😍😍😍
Mom's love for plants rubbed off on my and my Sister, and I hope your new love for houseplants leads you to great success!
Thank you. Who knows, maybe I will be able to get one of my own sisters interested too!

Thank you, I hope you do. Plants are nice hobby and there is so much info out there to help you do your best at succeeding with their care.
Plus (TBH) fish water is the best fertilizer, lol. d:D

@Boundava
Your plants are truly amazing! You have such a nice variety and types and ages that it is inspiring! I have never seen a jade plant actually bloom!🥰🥰🥰
I'm in California my sister's right now and she has some amazing plants going here. When I get back to Phoenix I'll take some pictures of my...cactus🤣🤣🤣

Got a monstera deliciosa at Home Depot today. I was amazed at how full, even, and large it was for $25!
C9DDA1DA-09A0-413E-A284-DB3F4EFCE697.jpeg

And my golden pothos is growing new leaves!
E7916CD9-F2BE-4354-AC47-D2D0BC46A244.jpeg

And just for fun, my bunny Charlotte chillin. She’s got her little legs kicked out behind her. I will keep her well away from the plants!
D69C6AFB-0926-497E-A95A-4EB9501680A5.jpeg

The monstera varieties are full of oxalic acid crystals so anything that eats it will almost instantaneously throw it up.

I have 4 cats in the house so I read up on this stuff for all our plants and any possible newbies. The cats are usualy very good with the plants.

Lovely monstera! As above, just be careful with your bunnies if they go in your room and be mindful to wash your hands after handling it especially if you get sap on your hands

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back