Starting fresh.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Regarding the grow light thing - I think what a lot of higher end fish lights have going for then is the programmability, this one is just on or off with a manual dimmer. Heat output is not much in my opinion, I'd say my tank LED warms up the hood of the 20g about proportionally compared to the plant light in the basement. And lol, I was afraid of the "purple glow" emanating from the basement, but turns out it just looks like I just left the lights on down there at night.

I don't think this type of grow light would be my first choice for tank lighting simply due to the lack of programmability, but if I were to go high tech I would probably couple one of these with a nice programmable light, and then once the programmable one is full brightness have one of these types of lights turn on for a few hours to supplement / simulate "midday" lighting.

Anyway, not veering off topic I just wanted to chime in to my original post there since I was away for a couple of days. Liking what you have going on with the driftwood :)

Regarding the grow light thing - I think what a lot of higher end fish lights have going for then is the programmability, this one is just on or off with a manual dimmer. Heat output is not much in my opinion, I'd say my tank LED warms up the hood of the 20g about proportionally compared to the plant light in the basement. And lol, I was afraid of the "purple glow" emanating from the basement, but turns out it just looks like I just left the lights on down there at night.

I don't think this type of grow light would be my first choice for tank lighting simply due to the lack of programmability, but if I were to go high tech I would probably couple one of these with a nice programmable light, and then once the programmable one is full brightness have one of these types of lights turn on for a few hours to supplement / simulate "midday" lighting.

Anyway, not veering off topic I just wanted to chime in to my original post there since I was away for a couple of days. Liking what you have going on with the driftwood :)
Out of the 3 LED strips running none of them use the program functions that could be used. Mainly because the new fluval light I feel the app a little overcomplicated and there's not really any explanation how to use it, the other 2 Amazon ones have a inbuilt 24 hour function but I think doesn't give enough hours at full brightness. Hence how I run all 3 on timers with a staggered half hour start and end period. But I'll change things about depending on the plants and algae issues but due to having lowish light required plants if I do have algae outbreak.

In the future I may try to light it with flood lamps. Just to see how viable of an option it is.

I've had really good luck with cheapo LED fixtures from Amazon, though I've also had a Current Satellite (a bit gimmicky, IMO), and for my new build I'm going to try a programmable Fluval. Nothing wrong with non-programmables, though. Even the sudden on-off isn't a big problem for the fish as long as they have some shade to hide in while they adjust.

Got some time to work in my tank yesterday.

After deciding after 6 days after setting the tank up it was time to add the fish using stability. So due to covid restrictions I had to use pets at home for the fish (which I'm not keen on as they quiz you on everything. What you had for dinner last night and do you wear boxers or briefs?) luckily they had cardinals in stock so i answered the usual questions they ask you. Her final question was how many cardinals do you want? I'll have all of them please. Will they have plenty of space in the tank? Err I should think so it's 325 litres.
PXL_20210118_121812866.jpg
Java fern on this fingers crossed it takes Buce will be attached to all the lower area with the java on the higher branches

PXL_20210118_132722558.jpg
after a few variations I'm kind of settled on this I did try to have the large piece of wood off to one side but I just couldn't get it to look quite right, but I haven't exactly stuck with the rule thirds.
PXL_20210118_202445309.jpg
PXL_20210118_202509200.jpg
PXL_20210118_150447981.jpg
So here it is.
I'm happy with how it looks just currently just need to play the waiting game for it grow out. I'll try to train the Japan to grow around the stones at the base of the wood.
The grass will hopefully take and will create a carpet at the front but previously not had much luck with grass but I was unsure if I should trim it? Just yet?

So my cycle has begun with the cardinals and using stability, seachem suggest using prime to prevent ammonia build up but I'll just use water changes I'll continue to use stability until the tanks fully cycled. I'll be water testing every 2 days with water changes every 4 about 15% the advantage of having a larger body of water it can take time for the water column to become poisonous.

I'll wait until plants are rooted then a group of 10 Cory's will be added. A few more cardinals and about 6 or 8 torpedo barbs I think I was going for Congo's but I be never kept torpedo's And around 20 ottos. I do like hatchet fish but I'll need to introduce some kind of floating plants for them.

Super exciting! Lady at PetSmart had a similar reaction when I bought 10 Black skirt tetras (which I didn't think was that many to be honest). She asked me how big my tank was and I told her they're quarantining in a 20g but living in a 125 and she went "oooOOOOooooo" ok lady lol.

How's the stability working out for you? I got sick of waiting for my hybrid planted / inadvertent "fishless with no intended ammonia added" cycle to finish, so I also added stability and finally got nitrates after 4-5 days. I'm doing all of this in the 20 so I am using prime since there is still (as of last night) a persistent nitrite reading, but I think you will be much better off doing this directly in the 325. Do post pictures of the Cardinals when you take some :)

Scape looks lovely! I did not know that dwarf hairdgrass could be trimmed, interesting thought! Mine is finally starting to fill out the front of the 20, just in time for me to uproot it and transfer it to the 125 haha. Well not so fast, 125 has been leak tested but needs better leveling, will have to post a separate thread on that if I have a chance today.

Looks great, and will look amazing when (if?) that hairgrass fills in. I can see where the questions are annoying, but on the other hand it's kind of refreshing to hear of pet store employees who actually care about the welfare of their critters, instead of just trying to sell something. "You're putting five bala sharks in a 10 gallon? Whatever, dude. That'll be $15."

I think your cories are going to LOVE that big driftwood cave. :)

Super exciting! Lady at PetSmart had a similar reaction when I bought 10 Black skirt tetras (which I didn't think was that many to be honest). She asked me how big my tank was and I told her they're quarantining in a 20g but living in a 125 and she went "oooOOOOooooo" ok lady lol.

How's the stability working out for you? I got sick of waiting for my hybrid planted / inadvertent "fishless with no intended ammonia added" cycle to finish, so I also added stability and finally got nitrates after 4-5 days. I'm doing all of this in the 20 so I am using prime since there is still (as of last night) a persistent nitrite reading, but I think you will be much better off doing this directly in the 325. Do post pictures of the Cardinals when you take some :)

Scape looks lovely! I did not know that dwarf hairdgrass could be trimmed, interesting thought! Mine is finally starting to fill out the front of the 20, just in time for me to uproot it and transfer it to the 125 haha. Well not so fast, 125 has been leak tested but needs better leveling, will have to post a separate thread on that if I have a chance today.
I'm not entirely sure if it can be trimmed or not I would hope I can give it a wee hair cut when it starts to grow in.

Stability is fine I mean I think people assume you just fire stability in and the tank will magically become cycled but that's not what I gathered from the stuff I've read from.other sources including seachem. I've always felt doing a fish in cycle a little hard on fish but the seachem is an additive to make it a little easier of the first fish added. I think anyway. But yeah can't remember my test results but done a test the other day and a water change but I'll update with relevant information when I finish Nightshift.

The cardinals are happy I think seem to be razzing around the tank no bother which is a good sign.

Looks great, and will look amazing when (if?) that hairgrass fills in. I can see where the questions are annoying, but on the other hand it's kind of refreshing to hear of pet store employees who actually care about the welfare of their critters, instead of just trying to sell something. "You're putting five bala sharks in a 10 gallon? Whatever, dude. That'll be $15."

I think your cories are going to LOVE that big driftwood cave. :)
I've had issues with pets at home prior. I mean they take your name and address and how big your tank is to keep it on file but they should also ask if you've got experience with fish keeping I mean I'm in my 30s and for at least 20 years of that I have had fish, so I would say that I have enough knowledge on fish to understand what are compatible what aren't etc.

I've had fish off them that where a bit neglected so much so I probably shouldn't have took them but I dislike seeing fish mistreated. I've put them in my tank and sadly haven't survived and they insisted it was my water parameters after supplying them with water to test, they still said my ammonia was too high. So they lied to me blatantly. I asked them if ammonia could build up in a water sample and they said no. So I asked how could I test my water before taking the sample and my parameters be perfect but there's somehow has a trace of ammonia. It wasn't until I asked to witness the rest they back tracked. I'm rambling again sorry.

I do agree that questions should be asked but the first question should be are you an experienced fish keeper?

I've had fish off them that where a bit neglected so much so I probably shouldn't have took them but I dislike seeing fish mistreated. I've put them in my tank and sadly haven't survived and they insisted it was my water parameters after supplying them with water to test, they still said my ammonia was too high. So they lied to me blatantly. I asked them if ammonia could build up in a water sample and they said no. So I asked how could I test my water before taking the sample and my parameters be perfect but there's somehow has a trace of ammonia. It wasn't until I asked to witness the rest they back tracked. I'm rambling again sorry.
The annoying thing about Pets At Home, is that a lot of them who sell fish, don't know what they are doing. I've seen people asking to buy two red tailed sharks and the staff are fine with it because they get no training. I have bought fish from Pets At Home before, and surprisingly they didn't die off very quickly. I don't remember what we got from there but I feel like it was pearl danios. Still have 3 of the things and they are happy in their biorb.

Unsure of what moderators will think but this isn't turning into a pets at home bashing thread so I'm sorry for it spiralling off topic.

I agree with you fish4dawin this clip comes to mind sometimes

But we'll say no more.

Now that’s a TANK!!!! Wow it’s hugeeee trevor, I shall be watching with envy on your build.

Thanks dude. Yeah I would say I'm happy with my tank, but tanks are never big enough always chasing that little bit extra.

Anyway wee update on progress.
PXL_20210121_092837948.jpg

I've decided to add this stop valve onto the purge valve as I was getting a slight drip into the hose which was slowly filling the pvc hose with water Which I wasn't happy about so for extra security I've added this and it seems to have rectified the issue added bonus it came in a red and black option.

So my first water test was done just under a week ago sat 16th my results were pH 7.6 which is a little higher than I would like. Ammonia 0ppm nitrates 0ppm nitrite 0ppm.

Second water test carried out on Wednesday 20th pH still 7.6 ammonia 0ppm nitrate 5.0ppm and nitrite 0.25ppm so it is starting to show signs of cycling which is good.

Carried out a 20% water changed yesterday Thursday 21st. I'll check the levels again later to see if there's any change. If it's showing signs of nitrites I'll drain some more water and refill.

I'm actually.quite pleased with myself with my drain system. It works really well. Few turns of knobs and it drains using the inlet for the filter. So much easier that using a gravel python.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back