Starting a shrimp tank at a higher temperature?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is this a method that people use? My theory is if I start my shrimp at 78 they will grow and have babies faster. The babies will also grow faster and be able to breed faster themselves. Then after like 2-4 months I put the temp at 74-75 to slow down their metabolism. Do people use this method? Have any of you used this method?

No... never heard of that. I keep the tank that my shrimp are in, at a stable temperature. (76 - 78 F)

I believe that it would work. I think some breeders do this. I'm not sure if it would have any long term effects tho

In the wild shrimp and fish go through temperature changes as the seasons change. This occurs in the tropics and anywhere there is water.

Shrimp have a breeding season and a resting season. The breeding season is normally when the water is warmer, and they stop breeding when the water cools down. This can be simulated by having the heater set at a lower temperature and as the weather warms up, the water warms up and the shrimp go through their warm season where they breed and grow.

After the warm season ends, the water temperature slowly gets colder and they have their cool season

In the wild shrimp and fish go through temperature changes as the seasons change. This occurs in the tropics and anywhere there is water.

Shrimp have a breeding season and a resting season. The breeding season is normally when the water is warmer, and they stop breeding when the water cools down. This can be simulated by having the heater set at a lower temperature and as the weather warms up, the water warms up and the shrimp go through their warm season where they breed and grow.

After the warm season ends, the water temperature slowly gets colder and they have their cool season
Ok so should I use this method?

I dont think it will hurt but it might have some long term effects that I'm not aware of

Yes, you can try out as what Colin mentioned. There are different seasons in the wild where the shrimps live.

In fact, lower temperature may prolong their lives.
For Apistogrammas fish, if you keep them at higher temperature, their lifespan will be reduced...

Ok but do you think it is a smart tactic?
No, I do not. They don't do it in the wild, so I believe its "unnatural".

Why do you want them to repopulate so fast? I keep my tank at a steady 76 - 78 F and my cherry shrimp breed as normal. I see at least one female berried shrimp every 4 - 6 days.

No, I do not. They don't do it in the wild, so I believe its "unnatural".

Why do you want them to repopulate so fast? I keep my tank at a steady 76 - 78 F and my cherry shrimp breed as normal. I see at least one female berried shrimp every 4 - 6 days.
This would just be at the start to kick start the colony. I won’t do it and I’ll keep the tank at 74 bc I’m not breeding for profit but I just thought it was something that could work since they grow faster in higher temps

This would just be at the start to kick start the colony. I won’t do it and I’ll keep the tank at 74 bc I’m not breeding for profit but I just thought it was something that could work since they grow faster in higher temps
Do what you wish, but I don't personally recommend it. They spawn much faster than you think. I started with only 10 shrimp, and now I have over 60.

I read a post some time back about a tank with shrimp. The owner noticed that over time his colony was dominated by males. No females or very few. . The opinion of those posting it was due to his constant water temperature. In some animals water temperature can influence the sex of juvenal shrimp. I don't know if that is true or not for shrimpbut it is worth considering.

Do what you wish, but I don't personally recommend it. They spawn much faster than you think. I started with only 10 shrimp, and now I have over 60.

How long does it take to reach 60 shrimps?
I am planning to get some shrimps soon.

I read a post some time back about a tank with shrimp. The owner noticed that over time his colony was dominated by males. No females or very few. . The opinion of those posting it was due to his constant water temperature. In some animals water temperature can influence the sex of juvenal shrimp. I don't know if that is true or not for shrimpbut it is worth considering.

Yes, you can search the internets for shrimps breeding information.
At higher temperature, you will get more male babies.
So, you have to set the right temperature to get both male and female.

You can check out these:

Most reactions

trending

Back