Starting A Marine Tank

The young one

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ello, I have just read through Jennybug's journal and have been inspired.
I would like to have a tank like hers, basically what equipment would I need and what could I put in it?
I would get a hydor powerhead 900l/ph.
Some blue or white leds, any recommendations?
What else would I need? I would like maybe a few corals.
Also are there any good online stores that sell marine stuff?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Jennybugs tanks are fantastic aren't they - i will leave the hardware to her, as I haven't got a clue!!

The shops on line though, we need to know where you are, UK etc?

Seffie x

Yea, I just read through all her journals and loads of others.
I'm in Wiltshire down South.
I sent Jennybugs a pm asking some questions.

Thanks
Joe

The water that evapourates from the tank is 'pure' water, Ie. has no minerals or salts or anything in it.

RO is pure water Ie. all solutes taken out of it. You can buy it from most local fish shops.
And you therefore use it to top up the tank.

You can buy ready mixed salt water from alot of fish shops too. But then alternatively you can mix up your own from RO water a marine salt. Whichever suits you.

You only use pure RO water for top-ups.

Ro water is Reverse Osmosis water - water that has had all the solid metals and contaminates such as chlorine etc removed via a staged filtration - sounds complicated but really in not :good:

Seffie x

much easier and cheaper to buy a small ro unit and tuck it under the sink :good: then you can make your own, it will likely be better quiality and you can mix it with a good salt

Seffie x

oh that sounds good, Jennybugs has just replied with some very good information.
I think I will go with maybe an orca or something like that, does Trod still have her tank for sale?

Thanks
Joe

ok, just had a look around and I'm liking the orca tl450.
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/orca-tl450-nano-reef-aquarium-stand-p-1252.html

I would buy the one from that link, what else would I need?
A powerhead?
I'm going to have my own RO unit aswell. Can you buy them?

Thanks
Joe

Trod has now sold her tank.

I wouldn't get the 450 you will regret it within about a week :crazy: go for the biggest tank you can afford. The 550 is a great tank to learn the trade on :good:

try to buy a second hand tank, you will save a small fortune and probably get other bits as well. As for the RO unit, buy that new, if you buy a used one you will end up having to replace the membranes etc and that is nearly as costly as buying the unit. Unless of course you find someone you trust who has kept the membranes wet :good:

Where abouts do you live and how much do you want to spend on a tank?

Think if i was going to do another nano, I would probably go for the juwel rio 125, or if enough space the rio 180 - there are some real good deals around at the moment

Seffie x

I live in Swindon Wiltshire,I'm willing to spend £200 - £250 so not much.
I'm only 12 so not the richest person ever.

I have enough room for a 3ft tank but I don't want the equipment to be really expensive, maybe salty isn't for me.

Yes of course it is - we all have a budget of some 'salt' :lol: sorry couldn't resist the spelling mistake.

You just need to be careful how you spend your money. Go take a look on ebay, there is a 180 on there at the moment, also several 125 tanks - if you decide to go this way, just ask the seller if they have ever used copper in their tanks :good:

you could then use:
boyu skimmer, cheap but work
refractometer - christmas is on its way
bucket of salt
powerhead - probably a Koralia 2 - get these second hand
the rock - about £5 a kilo from someone breaking down a tank

If you go for a rio, ensure the tank has T5 tubes - the freshwater ones will be fine until you start to get corals

so, see this can be done in stages

buy:
the tank
then the power head - christmas present
refractometer - christmas present
salty water from lfs (borrow or loan the containers from shop)
live rock (my five footer was empty for ages before i found the rock)
test kits - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for now, maybe another christmas present

and away you go to cycle your tank - woo hoo

Don't be put off - its fun and whilst you are waiting you can research

seffie x

ps for the 125 you will need about 20 k of rock or maybe a bit less, so that should cost you around £100

the salt water is just a matter of pounds from lfs

test kits, bit more expensive - about £8 each, althoug some times you can find people selling them off

refractometer about £30

powerhead, between £20 and £30

the boyu skimmer is abour £15

maybe you have a birthday coming up soon

Most reactions

Back