star fish splitting open

phsycowolf

Reaction score
can some one please help me.
i bought a str fish 3 days ago and i have noticed this evining that it has splits on 2 of its legs :wub:

check the SG. sometimes extreems or fluctuations of SG can cause simular effects.

ste :)

i know this is a somewhat old post, but it could just be breaking on its legs to grow another starfish... on dr. fosters and smiths said that... this is a wuote from the article...
In the wild, the Blue Linckia Sea Star is capable of regenerating a new starfish from almost any portion of its body that might break off. In the home aquarium, this is far less likely.

Firstly, how long did you aclimatise the starfish before placing it in the tank?
MAny people say that a starfish should not be exposed to air as they can get airpockets trapped inside them and this will kill them (i have seen evidence that points to this being untrue however).
Starfish are extremely sensative to changes in water quality, even a slight change in SG or PH will be enough to do serious harm to a starfish. Whilst it is possible for startfish to regenrate limbs etc, its als much more likely that they are indeed dieing. I had a blue linka and a red starfish. both died fromthe same syptoms. They started with simple splits in their skin, this eroded them rapidly (the blue disintergrated within a day) until they fall to bits. If this happens then you must get them out of tha tank fast! they will pollute the tank and within a small amount of water, its likely that the starfish will kill everything alone with it.

Is there any white, cottony looking stuff coming from the split? If so, it could be a cut. And if it is I'm not sure what to do but that happened to mine (and i didnt know what to do) and it died. One thing about starfish is you have to acclimate them veeeeery slowly. Also, what kind of star just out of curiosity?

If a star is not acclimatised slowly (over a period of many hours) then you might not see the effects of this until 6 months or more later. My red and blue linkas died roughly 5 months after introduction due to poor aclimatising. I learnt the hard way :*)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back