Squared Off?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HCpetraitis

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I basically know how to tell when my platy drops but I just don't get what it means to square off? Can anybody show me some pictures and explain them. I have a MM platy who lookslike she will pop anyday now so I jst wanted to be sure I don't miss it!

Squared off is the shape of this molly's belly. It was taken the day before she had her last drop. It has a boxy look to it as if she had swallowed a square object.

Mom41_1024.jpg

This is the same fish when she is not close to giving birth. Her belly is obviously much less square looking and is almost a rounded shape. At that time she was about half way between drops and had gained some size but was not looking squared off yet.

Mom24Day800.jpg

This is a picture of the same female shortly after she gave birth. At this point she has basically no swelling to her at all. Except that she is obviously mature, she could be not at all pregnant at the time. We know better because there were no males around her between this picture and the first one above.

MomAndFry800.jpg

If you reverse the time sequence of these pictures it is a single female going through the period between 2 drops in the same tank. The fry around her are hers from a drop on the day the last picture (first in the time sequence) was taken. It will also give you an idea of how slowly fry grow when they are a bit crowded and not fed overmuch. My interest at the time was documenting the female's progress, not growing fry quickly. The total time in the sequence is 6 weeks and no males were present in the tank, unless some of the fry turn out to be males.

Oooo I completely get it now! Thanks for the pictures!

Is this squared off

Any ideas when she might pop ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 110
No, not yet. She probably has at least another week, maybe even ten days, to go yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back