Spotted Puffer Food

Futralistic

New Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am thinking of getting a Spotted Puffer. So what do I need to feed it that will meet its nutritional needs and keep its teeth worm down?

I hear they like snails but getting snails small enough for them to eat is very hard. What do the Puffer owners feed their fish to keep them healthy and happy?

Thank you!!!
 
I am thinking of getting a Spotted Puffer. So what do I need to feed it that will meet its nutritional needs and keep its teeth worm down?

I hear they like snails but getting snails small enough for them to eat is very hard. What do the Puffer owners feed their fish to keep them healthy and happy?

Thank you!!!

Meaty foods. Prawn, mussel, snails etc. Don't feed live fish. they should be slightly rounded after feeding, not looking bloated.
 
The one thing I'd add to Fella's comment is there is some good evidence that these fish also eat appreciable amounts of green food. Some puffers seem to like green peas (tinned are best) and these would be useful. You could also try algae wafers; quite a few puffers seem to like them.

Overgrown teeth don't seem to be a major problem with GSPs compared with, say South American puffers. So provided you use lots of shelly foods, you should be fine. Trimming the teeth isn't nearly as scary as it sounds, should you need to do it.

Cheers, Neale
 
it is important to feed your puffer a variety of shell fish to keep him health and his teeth trimmed. i have had mine for a few years now and really small pond snails are a good start. when they get older, you could do clams but crack the shell a bit so they have a head start. right now, mine is full marine and recieves a diet of clams, muscles, shrimp, and squid. also, you can feed them ghost shrimp. it is very exciting to watch your puffer hunt them down and feed on them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top