Sponge Filters

Thanks for the link, Arfie. :thanks:

But, IMHO, I have to say that it looks like a complicated and expensive filtration system. All sponges do is provide surface area for the beneficial bacteria to cling to. They do that job well, but I would not be surprised if the filter would work just as well if it was filled entirely with floss.

If you disagree, please explain why.

It possibly would work just as well Inch, but the sponges came in the filter and as I explained above there is no need to replace them at all, so no need to use floss ;)I suppose you could even consider filling part of if not the whole area with other filter media like ceramic rings or bioballs etc, but if it aint broke .....

The Juwel tanks are quite popular because the filter and heater are tucked away neatly in the corner of the tank in a neat black box. They are simple and easy to maintain and ideal for beginners. A lot do remove the filters, but personally I like them especially as the backs of my tanks are (or will be) black, they just blend in nicely. I actually plan to add them into some of my non Juwel tanks.

Arfie

Beat me up over this one guys & gals...

I have a Juwel Record 60

Under advisement I have REMOVED the Green filter and the Black filter.

I removed the BLACK Carbon filter because it removes nutrients that would otherwise promote healthy plant growth. I have a planted tank.

I removed the GREEN filter because it is used to remove Nitrates and should be replaced every 6 weeks - fair enough but if (as I guess you should be) are doing weekly water changes then what's the point in endlessly purcashing these filters.

The empty space is now taken up by the more important BLUE Filters.

Andy

PS be gentle - lilly livered newby alert.

If they beat you up, they'll need to do me to, it's exactly how mine have been running for near on 2 years.

Arfie

@Arfie
Ah, that's good to know - safety in numbers & all that. Thanks for the confidence boost.

I may even let you off being a Liverpool supporter. :p

Andy

And I guess after reading this thread, the numbers of w/out green filters will carry on growing... Mine is coming out tonight :good:

The Juwel tanks are quite popular because the filter and heater are tucked away neatly in the corner of the tank in a neat black box. They are simple and easy to maintain and ideal for beginners. A lot do remove the filters, but personally I like them especially as the backs of my tanks are (or will be) black, they just blend in nicely. I actually plan to add them into some of my non Juwel tanks.
Arfie

Hi Arfie :)

That might just be the best reason I've ever heard for choosing one filter over another. :lol:

As long as there is "enough" surface area to hold the bacteria, and "good" water circulation through it, any filter will work as well as another to keep the tank cycled. Bigger isn't necessarily better since the bacteria will only increase to the point where there is enough fish waste to support them, they will just spread out. :D

There is another thread on this forum about filter media.

In that I explained that I now only have blue sponges in my Juwel 70 'Compact' filter topped by white floss pad. Starting from the bottom up I have a

fine blue
fine blue
coarse blue
(half of a) coarse blue (I sliced one into 2 pieces the same thickness as the carbon filter, that way I can replace it with a carbon filter should the need arise)
white floss pad.

Inch, the floss may be good to hold bacteria, but once you start rinsing it under tap water every week I'm sure the bacteria lost will be replaced, and take up home on the sponges. So there's no real loss, apart from all the rubbish you wash off :p

RE the green sponge- I don't have any Juwel filters so I can't be sure this is right, but you might as well keep it in- it'll remove nitrate for a while, but after that property is used up, as it were, it will hold bacteria as well as any other sponge.

After making some changes to my filter set-up, I have a few more questions:
1. When a filter says it is suitable for up to 20 litres does that mean in terms of holding enough bacteria (through a large enough sponge) or just the amount of water processed in an hour?
2. Do filters have to be on 24-7 to keep the bacteria alive or just sit in the tank?
3. How long can the 'good' bacteria live out of water?

TIA

coomon10

1. a filter suitable for a 20l refers to the tank size
2. You gotta keep it on all the time or your bacteria start to die off(although mine was accidently off for 15 hours and I didnt have a mini-cycle or anything)
3. dont really know but I wouldnt have thought very long but when I clean my filter housing out I chuck the bits of sponge in a bucket of tank water

In regards to removing the green sponges from juwel filters and replacing with a blue, I personally wouldnt bother. The green sponges dont have any nitrate removing chemicals and are said to be bacterial so unless normal nitrifying bacteria dont like green things and the 'magical' nitrate removing bacteria that frequent juwel filters dont like blue (bacteria dont have eyes!!!)the chances are the whole thing(green and blue) will be full of the same bacteria anyway. So you may aswell just treat the green ones like a blue and save yourselves the cost of a pint!! :hey:
I used to change them every 6 weeks as juwel advise but if you think about it after 6 weeks you've got a lovely colony of bacteria in that green sponge then you chuck it in the bin and start again!!! Even when I changed the greens I still seemed to have to do a weekly water change and my nitrate levels looked about the same before my water change as they do now .
I could be wrong :dunno:
Johnny

I too have this Jewel Filter, but think its useless (maybe i was (tank aint re-setup yet) doing something wrong). My nitrates were constantly high, but the ammononia and nitites were low to none. The green sponge seemed to do nothing. Have to admit though I didnt try a different test kit to test accuracy.

It has been suggested to scrap the sponges and use a couple bags of ammochips / cermaimc rings, and then just the floss on top. Which would be best?

Also - several people seem to have these - is the a way to quiten the pump down? - mine used to humm or even vibrate - makes sleeping quite difficult give the tank is in the bedroom.

Most reactions

Back