Sponge filter thoughts

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TofferMora

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, been looking at sponge filters today, thinking of getting one to aid my hob and also as a backup for if I setup a quarantine tank. I already have a pump from my previous foray into this hobby so wouldn't need that. What are people's thoughts and do people have recommendations? I would want something smallish so I could hide it near the back, they are not the nicest looking things!

I love the double barrelled sponge filters with the small bead holding sections underneath. I think they look far better than hobs but I don’t have big tanks.
For a QT tank I simply take one sponge from the four sponges in my 120L and run that in the QT for a day or so.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For a permanent tank the single or dual sponge filters are the most versatile for placement; I have this in my 10g, 20g and 29g tanks. First photo below of the dual sponge. Another good sponge is the Hydro series. I have one of these for the hospital tank as it is quick and easy to deal with, but it sits on the bottom and does take up more floor space.

Edit. PheonixKingZ posted as I was typing, same filters different manufacturers. Amazon have all of these.

Attachments

• sponge filter.jpg
    sponge filter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Hydro sponge filters.jpg
    Hydro sponge filters.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 27
I have a 10 gallon tank that I switched from an Aquaclear HOB to a foam filter, and my 20 gal. quarantine tank has always run one. I keep a large one as a backup incase of a motor failure on one of the HOBs on my larger tanks.

Positives:
1. Less current in the small tank.
2. Easy to clean.
3. Easy to place.
4. In my opinion are about par with HOB in regards to distraction from the fish, ie appearance. Black and unobtrusive.
5. Because the current is slow around the intake I can plant right up to the filter.
6. Really good with fish fry.

Negatives:
1. Doesn't seem to have as much filtering power, just a feeling.
2. My wife doesn't like the sound of air pumps, have tried many but none meet her specifications, I wish Little Giant still made the Silent Giant airpumps. This is a big negative in our house hold. I can sleep with industrial noise around the home but the 60hz buzz of the pumps drives a lot of people mad. One could run a line and have the pump in a different portion of the house but that doesn't work with all tank locations. As the pumps get older the seem to get louder.
3. A few times I have had the hose come off the connectors. I do have check valves in place but have had the check valves come off too. This is likely due to cheap clear silicone tubing I am using. A HOB can break and drain water on the floor but that seems to occur less than a air line coming off and starting a siphon. It has happened to me a couple of times during setup, and one person from my office had to replace their living room flooring because of a siphon in an air hose drained a few gallons overnight.

Overall they are a low cost alternative to the HOBs and with care and attention are quite functional for a lot of applications. I wouldn't use them for tanks that generate a high bioload.

Yea I think I like the look of the double barrel ones better but then they take up more room. Thanks for the positives and negatives, not something I am rushing to purchase anyway so good to get the info to think over.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back