South American Eels

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if there are any freshwater eels from South/Central America - I really like some of the spiney eels you see but I really want to keep my tank American. I know about the Rubber Eel (the caecillian) but very hard to find. So yeah just wondering if anyone can give me any names or ideas of alternatives I just want some interesting bottom dwellers other than the usual stuff like cories, hoplos or pictus.

Its a 4x20 tank atm but going to a 4x2x2 shortly.

Wills

Bump any ideas? I imagine that fish like this must exist but I cant find any suggestions of them in the hobby, any ideas?

Wills

The rubber eel is really an amphibian, but like you say iam now racking my brians, not for the tank size,iam just reeling off what i can think, electric eel < Electrophorus electricus > / then theres the south american lungfish< Lepidosiren paradoxa > then you have the american eel < anguilla rostrata > which is also found in south america..marbled swamp eel <Synbranchus marmoratus >....Apart from this iam still thinking hard,lol
Then you have things like the south american knife fish which are stunning and the south american leaf fish another stunning fish

The rubber eel is really an amphibian, but like you say iam now racking my brians, not for the tank size,iam just reeling off what i can think, electric eel < Electrophorus electricus > / then theres the south american lungfish< Lepidosiren paradoxa > then you have the american eel < anguilla rostrata > which is also found in south america..marbled swamp eel <Synbranchus marmoratus >....Apart from this iam still thinking hard,lol
Then you have things like the south american knife fish which are stunning and the south american leaf fish another stunning fish
Sorry to hijack Wills. Do leaf fish do well with bigger cichlids? i had been looking at then but thought they might get pushed around by severums.

where in UK are you Will as my rubber eel is available?

Simon

where in UK are you Will as my rubber eel is available?

Simon

I'm in Hull but Im not in a position to take him aahhhh :( Just moved my tank a few weeks ago and have a bit of a blip in water quality and not sure my tank would be big enough at present :(

Wills

Most reactions

Back