SOS please help guppy dying?

max22

Reaction score
I have 3 guppies, 2 baby platies, (being moved soon), and 2 African Dwarf frogs. I just tested the water and 6.8 PH, 0 Ammonia, .25 nitrite, and 5-10 ppm Nitrate. I do weekly water changes but I made the mistake of not letting my tank fully cycle so the last week or so I have been doing smaller water changes whenever the ammonia tested as not 0. I had one female guppy die bought from the same local fish store as the one having problems she passed around 4 days after purchase and it seems like ammonia problems. I got sea chem prime and Tetra Safestart and added dosage. About 2 hours ago I noticed her in the top corner of the tank in the plant leaves swimming in place. I then took a closer examination and noticed she had a large part of her body that was always grey began to whiten closer to her tail. I netted her, and realized I forgot to check the hospital tanks temp, It was far hotter than her normal tank so I netted her for a few moments to fix the water temp in the hospital tank, once she was in the net and after she got out she has been totally vertical and drifting downwards I netted her and placed her in the new tank (this tank water is cured but not cycled) I put her in the smaller tank along and she has had her face in or near the gravel and her body seems to be somewhat uncontrollable. I assumed this to be a possible pregnancy or swim blatter problem so to solve both problems I have her in 5-8 inches of water. Things are not any better yet the other tank mates seem happy and safe. PLEASE SOMEONE be up late so I can sleep easy. Any thoughts, ideas, or questions please respond

I have 3 guppies, 2 baby platies, (being moved soon), and 2 African Dwarf frogs. I just tested the water and 6.8 PH, 0 Ammonia, .25 nitrite, and 5-10 ppm Nitrate. I do weekly water changes but I made the mistake of not letting my tank fully cycle so the last week or so I have been doing smaller water changes whenever the ammonia tested as not 0. I had one female guppy die bought from the same local fish store as the one having problems she passed around 4 days after purchase and it seems like ammonia problems. I got sea chem prime and Tetra Safestart and added dosage. About 2 hours ago I noticed her in the top corner of the tank in the plant leaves swimming in place. I then took a closer examination and noticed she had a large part of her body that was always grey began to whiten closer to her tail. I netted her, and realized I forgot to check the hospital tanks temp, It was far hotter than her normal tank so I netted her for a few moments to fix the water temp in the hospital tank, once she was in the net and after she got out she has been totally vertical and drifting downwards I netted her and placed her in the new tank (this tank water is cured but not cycled) I put her in the smaller tank along and she has had her face in or near the gravel and her body seems to be somewhat uncontrollable. I assumed this to be a possible pregnancy or swim blatter problem so to solve both problems I have her in 5-8 inches of water. Things are not any better yet the other tank mates seem happy and safe. PLEASE SOMEONE be up late so I can sleep easy. Any thoughts, ideas, or questions please respond

Attachments

• IMG_5045 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5045 - Copy.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5049 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5049 - Copy.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_5050.jpg
    IMG_5050.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5056 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5056 - Copy.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 186
If the fish has white patches on the body, it is probably a bacterial infection.

Can you post pictures of the sick fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

----------------------------
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank, you add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

The pictures show a bacteria infection. There's not much you can do for it except euthanise the fish.

If you add salt to the main tank, it might stop the others getting sick. If any others develop the same symptoms, then you will need to use anti-biotics to treat the tank.

If you only had the fish for about 4 days, it had the problem at the shop and they might replace the dead fish if you take it back.

Do you live in the U.S.? If so, you can treat her with Furan-2 or Kanaplex. Both treat bacterial infections. You can get them at PetSmart. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back