SOS betta sick I think HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is the same person who asked.....

I am starting to think that all of their fish are in undersized puddles and not entirely convinced that they are open to advice....they have an empty 3 gallon that could be a replacement in the short term for this Betta....but it is obvious from their original thread that they have selective reading and accepting skills and that is a shame since there has been excellent advice given thusfar.

1. Remove the betta from that peice of tupperwear.

2: Get a something called a filter.

3: give the poor thing a boiled pea WITH the pea skin taken off.

4: If you have no peas put some aqaurium sat in. (Dont use table salt aquarium salt only)

5: If you have no aquarium salt or peas then you will just have to let time tell.

4: If you have no peas put some aqaurium sat in. (Dont use table salt aquarium salt only)

5: If you have no aquarium salt or peas then you will just have to let time tell.
there is a filter there but other than that great advice.

a couple of live plants would be a worthwhile investment here small ones and easy growers(maybe the father is a bit lazy and he wouldnt have to do much to keep these)

as @Obsessed with fish said aquarium salt would be beneficial

personally im not sure about the peas thing but ive never fed my fish peas so i wouldnt know

there is a filter there but other than that great advice.

a couple of live plants would be a worthwhile investment here small ones and easy growers(maybe the father is a bit lazy and he wouldnt have to do much to keep these)

as @Obsessed with fish said aquarium salt would be beneficial

personally im not sure about the peas thing but ive never fed my fish peas so i wouldnt know
it helps, trust me.

Okay...
So what is the 'ammonia lowering treatment' you are using?
I see no heater in that water and he needs to be at a steady temperature of 76℉ at an absolute minim, up to 85℉ max.

That plastic box doesn't seem to reflect any of the advice you've so far been given.
He'll be feeling very exposed and so needs some pond weed, at the very least, to give him a sense of security.

So what did the vet say?
When you put your hand up to the water it is very warm about 82 we used ammonia lock from APIand there is a heater just no thermometer the vet basically said to check the water levels and I do have a 10 gallon tank ( currently filled with sand as it was the old tank for my hermit crabs) that he could use

I hate seeing fish in such small tanks. It just makes me angry. Nevertheless, you are a member of tff, and you need to be educated. I will try to say this without being rude. You can’t keep a beta in that small of a tank. Either get that poor fish out of that tank and give it away, or buy a bigger tank. Fish keeping is a hobby. And it does cost money. But it’s not for some People.

Changing the water right now boiling peas in a second do I cut the peas?

Can someone lead me through the steps of moving him Toto the 10 gallon? Please and thanks to everyone for all the help I means a lot to me

When you put your hand up to the water it is very warm about 82 we used ammonia lock from APIand there is a heater just no thermometer the vet basically said to check the water levels and I do have a 10 gallon tank ( currently filled with sand as it was the old tank for my hermit crabs) that he could use
Good-oh.
Given your Dad's age, I suspect the house will be kept at a warm enough temperature, so you could probably manage without a heater. Just be aware that if the temperature of the house does drop, then the fish will become lethargic, suffer and possibly die.
Given that you DO have a heater, then you DO need a thermometer! Heaters have been known to spontaneously stop working or worse and you need to be able to monitor the water temp with a little more finesse than simply sticking your hand in.

Given that you now have a larger, empty tank, then that tank is the one that should be housing the fish.

Empty that tank of sand and given it a good, non-soap clean and then put all of the contents of the tiny tank into the bigger one and top up, using a proper water conditioner.
NOTE that I am yet to hear you mention that you use water conditioner).

Can someone lead me through the steps of moving him Toto the 10 gallon? Please and thanks to everyone for all the help I means a lot to me
Okay...you have time, so;

Take the sand out of the 10 gallon and mix it a few times with boiling water. This is to make sure that no bugs are there from your Hermits.
Rinse the sand with conditioned tapwater.
Wash the tank repeatedly with very hot water and vinegar. This should sterilise it enough for use.
Rinse it well.
Put the cleaned sand back in.

Buy some live plants and put them in. Nothing fancy, just what you can afford. We're not going to bother with checking the plants for snails at this point.

Come back when you've done this.

I am starting to think that all of their fish are in undersized puddles and not entirely convinced that they are open to advice....they have an empty 3 gallon that could be a replacement in the short term for this Betta....but it is obvious from their original thread that they have selective reading and accepting skills and that is a shame since there has been excellent advice given thusfar.
I actually was about to point this out too. I thought to myself - isn't this the user whose fish and tanks are constantly having issues?

And the same one who asked...

ALL of their fish are kept in inadequately small environments and the fish themselves aren't necessarily healthy but despite repeatedly being told this - they just post more and more ultra tiny tanks with fish.

I also agree that they are not open to advice or want to make necessary changes. I could see if the proposed changes were major, but they aren't. Nobody is asking the user to go get a 55 gallon tank for the goldfish and a 10 gallon for the Betta, but simply to just SIZE UP any way you can. He isn't even willing/able to do that. So why keep posting when you aren't willing to make the changes?

At this point I recommend getting rid of the fish and tanks honestly. If not - the fish will die if kept there and a 76 year old man will tire of the replacements and maintenance FAST so I suspect this cycle will not last long. Don't help him kill fish, at least make him do it on his own.

Just so anyone knows I would eat a fork if it ment I could save my poor fish and now you’ve told me and I understand this isn’t a great hobby for me now I realize this was only to keep my kids happy

Probably a moot point at this juncture, but I see absolutely no reasoning in suggesting peas OR salt for this fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back