Sony Vaio Laptop Help It's Died

Well, you probably have no choice but to reinstall windows then. Since this started after changing the partitions around, I think it's most likely a software problem.

Oh, I thought you said it worked when windows was starting. So nothing appears on the screen at all when you turn it on?

It sounds like it could have a bad video card if that's the case.

Yep - as I thought :) Obviously can't say for sure, but that's certainly what it sounds like.

Edit: oh, I thought the problems only started when the OS kicks in. So you can't see anthing *at all* at any point ?

If you couldn't even see the POST screen before, reinstalling the video drivers probably won't solve the problem, because the POST screen comes up before the video drivers are loaded.

i am quite sure that the recovery disc will solve your problem unless you have a faulty hardware...
:good:

This sounds like it is a hardware problem. If you don't see the POST screen, then either something is screwed up in the BIOS, or there is faulty hardware.

EDIT: Considering that this is a Sony laptop and not customized home-made system, I would be surprised if there is any setting in the BIOS that could cause that kind of trouble.

This sounds like it is a hardware problem. If you don't see the POST screen, then either something is screwed up in the BIOS, or there is faulty hardware.

sounds like the driver for higher graphics display was deleted during partitioning...
the recovery disc will reset ALL settings and files to factory settings so this should eliminate any driver issues...

The display drivers will have no effect on the POST screen. Deleting the display drivers would not cause that kind of trouble.

The display drivers will have no effect on the POST screen. Deleting the display drivers would not cause that kind of trouble.

i rest my case.
seems like you are an expert on this..
:good:
i am only sharing my laptop recovery experience..
:blush:

It is possible that there are issues with the display drivers on top of whatever was causing it to not POST before, so I suppose it couldn't hurt to try reinstalling them. If that fixes the 4 bit graphics issue, just keep in mind that there is still something else wrong.

EDIT: It couldn't hurt to download and run memtest86, to see if there are memory problems. http://www.memtest86.com/

EDIT (again): Problems that seem to magically fix themselves have a way of eventually coming back, so it would be a very good idea to figure out why you were not seeing the POST screen before. It is absolutely impossible for display drivers or anything on your hard disk to cause that kind of trouble. You could take the hard disk out and it should still POST. The POST screen comes from the BIOS, not from a hard drive.

well she said already that she don't have the recovery disc so shell have to send off for them from sony or try and buy a set on ebay

see post #5, 6, and 10..
if the seller won't be able to find it, phone sony (if you find that you still want to have the disc), they will be able to get you a copy...for a price, of course...

EDIT: It couldn't hurt to download and run memtest86, to see if there are memory problems. http://www.memtest86.com/

see post#17

I suggest you go to the Sony Viao European website for dowloads and manuals.

You have to start of by entering the serial number in this link and go from there :good:

red-devil0602, have you actually tried this ?

Ps: that of course will allow you to update any driver for your laptop you wish.

Most reactions

Back