Sony Vaio Laptop Help It's Died

red-devil0602

Fish Herder
Reaction score
it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission
My boyf got me a sony Vaio, and as always he has to mess with it. at first the display wouldn't go anything higher than 4bit and now when you turn it on the screen is blank even though it's turned on. I know the he changed the hard drive from partitioned to all in one. Does anybody know how to save it or have recovery discs for a PCG-GRS515M

The blank screen could be due to a loose connection - we often have that probem with our IBM laptop when they push a few years old. Is it brand new ?

As for the display, go to the Sony helpsite and download the latest drivers - that should sort the problem

I suggest you go to the Sony Viao European website for dowloads and manuals.

You have to start of by entering the serial number in this link and go from there :good:

do you have recovery discs that came with the laptop?

EDIT: sorry i didn't realize that you were actually asking for a copy of the disc on your original post. :blush:

Is it completely pitch black (as if it's powered down), or if you look from above (vertically down from the top frame), you can see the screen very faintly ?

Also, did this only happen after he unpartitioned the drive - it could be that something got scrambled (lost) if he accidentally formatted the part of the drive the drivers sat on. Did it work at all after he unpartitioned it ?

If it's lightly lit, it sounds like either a loose connection, but I'm now thinking more likely some drivers (display) got lost in the repartitioning. If you don't have any info on there already (or have a backup and can restore that) I suggest reformatting and re-installing the Operating System.

no, the bloke is sending them as soon as he finds them. Only problem is even when you put a disc in you can't see anything so cant do anything with it

if you manage to get the recovery discs, you boot it up using the discs and no need to start windows.

Most laptops have either a VGA or DVI output. That should let you connect a screen so you can see to back up your data.

What did he do with the partitions exactly? Did he delete the extra ones and resize the primary partition to fill the whole drive? Did he merge them?

What is the drive letter of the partition windows is installed on? If the drive letter has been changed to something other than C, that is likely the cause of the problem. Partition magic will let you change drive letters, so that would be easy to fix.

Most reactions

Back