Something wrong with my rainbow shark

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aks3311

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a problem with my rainbow shark, he just is at the top of the tank twitching about. Only did a water change yesterday. As far as know my pera meters are fine. I am aware he's in a tank to small atm but he's a juvanile and will be moved once my new. Large tank has cycled for a month.
He doesn't seem to have any marks on him just possibly a red mark by his gills :(

Attachments

• 15862738979104983505864902458615.jpg
    15862738979104983505864902458615.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200407_163049.jpg
    IMG_20200407_163049.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 119
Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Make sure there are hiding places at the bottom for the fish to hide in.

Post a short video showing the fish twitching. If the video is too big for the website, upload it to YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view the video at YouTube.

75% is that not gonna be too much? I have pleco in there too who seems absolutely fine.
So I usually take my water to local aquatics place but atm that is closed cuz of Rona haha.
Only last week I.gutted my gravel and really cleaned it.
He's also slightly wonky, so by that I mean leaning to one side
Video:

A 75% water change is fine to do as long as the new water has a similar GH, pH and temperature to the tank, and as long as it is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Big water changes dilute nutrients and disease organisms more effectively than smaller water changes.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

------------------
The fish looks like it is gulping air from the surface. This is unusual but could be caused by low oxygen levels in the water. Increasing aeration/ surface turbulence might help, as could a big water change.

------------------
The gravel should be cleaned every week when you do a water change. The easiest way to do this is with a basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link.

If you don't have or can't get a gravel cleaner, you can make one from a 1, 1.5 or 2 Litre plastic drink bottle.

Cut the bottom off the bottle and throw the bottom piece away.
Remove the lid and plastic ring at the top of the bottle and throw those 2 bits away.
Put a garden hose in the top of the bottle and run the hose out the door onto the lawn, or cut a length of garden hose and put one end in a bucket.
Use the bottle as the gravel cleaner when you do water changes.
The fish stay in the tank when you gravel clean the substrate.

------------------
How do you clean the filter?

Thank you.
Okay so I have my filter cascading water into the tank and that semms to cause plenty of water bubbles.
I have a gravel cleaner, which I do use every week.
Okay I'm gonna try a bigger water change then and get an bubble maker?
I have had him for 2 months and he's been fine just don't understand why now :(

Oh sorry you asked about the filter, so wipe it down weekly, so all the plastic bits and where the water comes out of and I change my 2 pads monthly

Make sure you have some driftwood in the tank for the fish.
Leave the lights on a bit longer to encourage some green algae to grow on the glass or ornaments.

If you have trouble growing algae in your tank you can get some rocks (be sure they are fish safe) and put them in a jar of water in a sunny windowsill. When they have algae on them you can put them in the tank. You can rotate rocks for a steady supply

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back