Something has changed

ccg

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
423
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Not to sure what I have done, as I changed a few things within the past week. Anyhow all of my fish are doing much better.

I have

4 Tiger Barbs
6 Cherry barbs
6 Golden barbs
1 Red tailed shark
1 small pleco

All of there colours have come out a lot within the last few days. My water changes are hte same as always so its nothing to do with that. These are a few things I can think of that I have changed wtihin the past 2 weeks:

Added a 4 foot peace of drift wood (the first and only peace)
Added a second filter
Added the red tailed shark (not likely anything to do with this)
Have been feeding them plently of live insects as it is now spring and there are tons everywhere.

The ornages are the tiger and golden barbs has become much deeper, dense and brighter. My cherry barbs are all a very deep red colour (usually they are a bit ligher then this).

Also, about 2 hours after turning on there lights today I noticed that 2 of the golden barbs were spawning and laying eggs, however the other fish were following close behind and eating them. I may try and put them into another tank next week and see if I can get them to do this again.

Not to sure what I have done, but I am loving it. The fish look better then ever, and I have had almost all of these fish for over a year now, and they have never shown off there colours like this before.

Any idea on what its causing this? I'm guessings its the live insects they are being fed.
 
Perhaps improved water conditions due to the second filter ???? #
Edit: and possibly extra yummy food ! :)
 
I am thinking it may be a combo of a few things, like the food, filter, and the ph has gone down just a little from the drift wood. I hope my fish keep these somehow improved colours.
 
Could be the filter :)


But anywho, glad your fish are looking better :-)
 
Insects are very nutritious for fish, and thay love them ;) That's probably the reason that the fish have better color :D
 
what kind of instects do you catch? just out of curiousity. Anything you can get your hands on or something specific?
 
If you want the goldens to spawn again, keep doing what you're doing, but move the other fish, not them. There's obviously something going on that they like and if you move them you may or may not get the same results. JMHO
 
I have been feeding them house flys, mosquitoes, and chopped up dew worms. I have not really tried anything else, but there are tons of these around because I live in the middle of the woods, so there are an insane amount of bugs.

MsDad, I was planning on moving the ones that were spawning. But you right, I would be better off moving the rest of the fish, although that is a lot of fish to move. I do have a 45 gallon cycled though, so maybe I will try this.

I’ll let you know how I make out if I do decide to do it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top