[solved] heater boiling tank!

norbie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
so i've setup my new 19 UK Gallon tank today with a 200w heater.

I set it to 26, but I just checked the thermometer and it's over 30!

I've just turned the heater down to 22, why is this happening?

What do i do?

It's midnight here so nothing else is heating tank, im worried i'll wake up to find boiled fish!

Maybe turn it down as low as it can go, but not off, I had a problem like that before, it takes a bit to learn just hpw much to turn that knob lol...just don't put cold water in, or turn it completely off, the temp change will stress the fish very much, and they could then get sick. I think fish are ok with high temp as long as there is aeration, and its gradual, my tank gets up to 86 during the day cuz its now summer, and is 78 at around 3am (yes, i actually checked this lol) and it hasnt seemed to cause much harm because it was a natural rise and fall. Hope you figure out whats going on..

That might be the problem....I have a 50w in my ten, and it says "for up to 10 gallons" So I'm guessing 100w is what is perfect for a 20 gal. (That is the tank we're talking about, right??)
I say put the 150w in, it sounds better to me

i've switched them over now...

its set to 26 again, i'll see what its' like in the mornin!

what sort of temperature should this be at ideally?

uhh, 78F so that sounds pretty right..i think lol...too tired to doo all the calculations, nor run up two flights of stairs and peek at my thermometer...either way, sounds about righ

I have a gourami too, they like the warmer water, so no worries there, and i have guppies as well, oops better update sigg, I've seen no adverse effects of such warm

the temperature seems to be settling now with the older heater :)

thanks a lot for your help squishiebabe!

the wattage shold not make any difference to the over all temp of the tank - just the rate it heats at.

It might have a faulty thermostat??

Holy Moly 200 wt for 19g dude a 50wt is way more then enought unless u live in north pool. set it lower its the wt that make the heater gone off the chart it probably have on the heater's box about what gallon of tank it was made for u should read them before buying it.

"Squishiebabe" said:
Very nice, and natural...what have you got in there?

They're all in the sig ;)

"smithrc" said:
It might have a faulty thermostat??

Yes I think it probably does - I'll take it back to the shop.

"IMCL85" said:
Holy Moly 200 wt for 19g dude a 50wt is way more then enought unless u live in north pool. set it lower its the wt that make the heater gone off the chart it probably have on the heater's box about what gallon of tank it was made for u should read them before buying it.

I asked on here what size heater to buy - 200w was recommended!

Most reactions

Back