Softwater to Hardwater

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm moving next week from Long Island to New Hampshire. I was planning to set up my tanks there next week but I just realized that the water in New Hampshire is very hard. Is there a water softener that I should use or a natural way that I can bring the water hardness down? Thank you!

The only thing I can think of is to add peat as a water conditioner, sometimes driftwood as long as it is not from an ocean. As mentioned previously you can use RO water. I have found using the soil substrates like Fluvial Substrate or Tropica Aquarium Soil (not necessarily recommending these) does seem to reduce hardness as well as pH. It always seems that adding material to the water is easier than removing it, softening the water has always been more difficult, you need to add something that will capture or bind with the dissolved solids, in the natural world that is typically organic material in the water. You could do what I did once and that was to change my focus to African Cichlids. If you are stuck on soft water loving fish then RO seems the best bet.

What is RO water?

I do have sand in my tank, I'm not sure if that would stabilize the water or not. I have a community tank of livebearers, neon tetras, and a betta and I achieved that fine line of gh, kh, and ph where the fish can happily coexist.

RO water is water that goes through reverse osmosis where the water is forced through filters that remove most of the particles leaving almost pure water. My water has between 3 and 6ppm, it started out at 134ppm.

The only thing I can think of is to add peat as a water conditioner, sometimes driftwood as long as it is not from an ocean. As mentioned previously you can use RO water. I have found using the soil substrates like Fluvial Substrate or Tropica Aquarium Soil (not necessarily recommending these) does seem to reduce hardness as well as pH. It always seems that adding material to the water is easier than removing it, softening the water has always been more difficult, you need to add something that will capture or bind with the dissolved solids, in the natural world that is typically organic material in the water. You could do what I did once and that was to change my focus to African Cichlids. If you are stuck on soft water loving fish then RO seems the best bet.
Please don't use peat, it has destroyed so many habitats. RO water is the most stable and safe way to lower GH.

What sort of fishes do you keep?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

The easiest way is to simply mix your water with RO (pure water) to get the desired result. That way you don't need to add anything else and can change as much water as you like without worrying about messing up the parameters.. GH is by far the most important, just let the KH and pH do what it will.

For example if your tap GH is 20 and you need a GH of 10 mix tap water and RO water 1:1 - the measure for GH is linear so its an easy calculation.

So I could use distilled water?

I have swordtails, guppies, mollies, platies, neon tetras, and a betta.

My current tap water gh is 6 and the kh is 3.

Last edited:
Peat is created when plants decompose. Usually plants decompose into carbon dioxide, however because peat is formed in an oxygen free bog it turns into pure carbon. Peatlands (bogs with peat) hold a third of all soil carbon in the world. Extracting it causes a massive release of carbon. Not only this but it also presents an environmental risk if it sets on fire. Peat also takes a very long time to grow back (about 1/16th an inch a year). Peat mining also requires the bog to be drained, effectively destroying any ecosystem that was in the area.

So I could use distilled water?

I have swordtails, guppies, mollies, platies, neon tetras, and a betta.

My current tap water gh is 6 and the kh is 3.
Get a second tank and keep the livebearers in the hard water, and use reverse osmosis or distilled water to reduce the GH for the tetras and Betta.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back