Soft Shell Turtle Info Please

mixmaster jay

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
hi has anyone got any info and or experiance with these turtles

what can i and cant put with them?

can i put it in with my arowana and giant gourami ?

any info really would be great

thankyou for reading

JAY :good:

I'd say no, even know you haven't mentioned what species you are talking about.

The smaller ones are nippy, quite sensitive, and have specific tank set up requirements (shallow with sand), while the larger ones get huge and need similarly huge amounts of swimming space, and will eat all smaller fish.

yeah ive been told some of this today at my lfs by a bloke who has kept one for 4 years but his tank is full of water and never really seems to bask

im only asking as ive seen a male (which dont grow as big ) today and it looked quite disstressed and unhappy (if that is possible lol) and were £20 im thinking of setting another tank up for it maybe .

we already have a adult female yellow belly slider 13" shell nearly full size so quite clued up on turtles but not soft shells

oh its a chinese soft shell

thankyou three fingers :good:

It's good you're not starting with softies then, usually recommend people try regular turtles first :).

Then, same as any turtles, you can appreciate they need fairly large aquariums, a 4 foot tank would be OK as long as its 2 foot wide. Naturally, you will soon need a decent sized external filter as the turtle produces more waste.

They do spend most time in the water, but what I meant was to the the water very shallow at parts to it can paddle around and stick it's head up easily - they spend quite a lot of time dong this. When young they also like to bury themselves in sand a lot. You can provide a deeper area for swimming if you want but it doesnt seem to stress them not having this.

I would still say that it is necessary to provide a basking spot! They do bask, just not as often as other turtles. For this a piece of wood or smooth slate just big enough for the turtle with a heat bulb above it (not making it too hot!) is fine. Having water running over the basking spot is a good idea to stop it getting too hot.

UV isnt the most important thing in the world, but I would still recommend letting them get as much as possible, since they spend a lot of time paddling in shallow water, a 5 or even a 10% UVB florescent tube will be great. I'd personally go for the 10% and just give a shaded area (a silk plastic or real aquatic plant is good for this).

You need to make sure the water is very clean for these guys, so really no skimping on filtration. They get infections pretty easily compared to sliders. No shart rocks or ornaments should be used. They are also more nippy then older, and most bite if you annoy them at all, so they arent the best for children.

The Chinese soft shells get big, i.e. a shell with a diameter of 12inches is easily achieved, with females being capable of growing to double this size.

They can also become fairly aggressive when bigger and I have heard of one recently taking a chunk out of a large mbu puffer that it was sharing its tank with.

It definitely isn't a species that I would consider adding to a tank that has relatively slow moving fish or plecos

Most reactions

trending

Back