Social Media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The social media side of the site sometimes overflows and dominates. I think it drives people away, especially people who look for fish discussion but get sick of wading through in-jokes and chatter. I'm several weeks into an experiment, where there were members who posted a lot and made it look like there was new info in interesting threads. It was always a tiny disappointment to see what was there, so I blocked a few. For weeks now, I've gotten a message saying there's a post by someone I blocked, and it never affects the flow of the thread. If it has gone off into the bored in crowd chatter, the "I'll keep asking til I hear what I want to hear' direction, etc, it goes its way.

I expect I'm far from the only one with this solution, but it is a standard social media response to filler on your feed. On FB, you unfollow the flat earthers, marketers and fanatics, and if we have a social media side growing here, we have to adopt the same strategies. The people who ask questions and only accept the answers they wanted, the people who don't read responses, or who jump in on the 27th posting and repeat nonsense because they don't read the discussion that came before - I'll just be my own mod and merrily can them. There are a lot of people who come here to discuss important (to them) questions about their fish or tanks, and there's only so much time and energy we can offer.

I'm not offended if people who dislike my postings block me - it's social media. It happens. If someone consistently annoys you, you are more apt to engage in battle with them, and no one wins there.

The social media side of the site sometimes overflows and dominates. I think it drives people away, especially people who look for fish discussion but get sick of wading through in-jokes and chatter. I'm several weeks into an experiment, where there were members who posted a lot and made it look like there was new info in interesting threads. It was always a tiny disappointment to see what was there, so I blocked a few. For weeks now, I've gotten a message saying there's a post by someone I blocked, and it never affects the flow of the thread. If it has gone off into the bored in crowd chatter, the "I'll keep asking til I hear what I want to hear' direction, etc, it goes its way.

I expect I'm far from the only one with this solution, but it is a standard social media response to filler on your feed. On FB, you unfollow the flat earthers, marketers and fanatics, and if we have a social media side growing here, we have to adopt the same strategies. The people who ask questions and only accept the answers they wanted, the people who don't read responses, or who jump in on the 27th posting and repeat nonsense because they don't read the discussion that came before - I'll just be my own mod and merrily can them. There are a lot of people who come here to discuss important (to them) questions about their fish or tanks, and there's only so much time and energy we can offer.

I'm not offended if people who dislike my postings block me - it's social media. It happens. If someone consistently annoys you, you are more apt to engage in battle with them, and no one wins there.
I just ignore the people that annoy me on here. I guess blocking works too...

I think social media really impacts my self-esteem too. For example, I know if I look at too many pictures of other people’s amazing aquascaping, I start to feel bad about myself and my progress. So I try to stay off of it and just be happy doing my best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back