Soaking Wood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You could try stud screws, or using the little arm things they sell to attach them to heaters if the woods not too big. Good suggestion. My wood fits good with one of the arms. Bout to put it in the tank ;) good suggestion :good: thanks!

You could try stud screws, or using the little arm things they sell to attach them to heaters if the woods not too big. Good suggestion. My wood fits good with one of the arms. Bout to put it in the tank ;) good suggestion :good: thanks!
No problem thanks for pointing out my problem luckily they've only been in a couple of days so a water change and there shouldn't be a issue hopefully :/

Wouldn't a nail rust in the tank? Or give off harmful minerals? Is there an alternative? Maybe stud screws?

I would have thought that odd bit of rust that might come off a nail in a fish tank would have no harmful effects. If you worried about such a small thing imagine the nasty things you put in the tank when you put your hand in it and yet the fish survive still.

Wouldn't a nail rust in the tank? Or give off harmful minerals? Is there an alternative? Maybe stud screws?

I would have thought that odd bit of rust that might come off a nail in a fish tank would have no harmful effects. If you worried about such a small thing imagine the nasty things you put in the tank when you put your hand in it and yet the fish survive still.
Well rust is iron if I'm right. Is it toxic to fish?

We are talking extremely low levels of dissolved iron here, there is a lot more in any aquarium plant nutrient
than would come out of a rusty nail. I have two pieces of wood held together with two screws in my larger tank, they have been there for two years with no apparent problems. Your water is in contact with the metal in the impeller in your filter (although not wholly iron there will be an iron content as it is magnetic). I really wouldn't worry about one or two nails.

We are talking extremely low levels of dissolved iron here, there is a lot more in any aquarium plant nutrient
than would come out of a rusty nail. I have two pieces of wood held together with two screws in my larger tank, they have been there for two years with no apparent problems. Your water is in contact with the metal in the impeller in your filter (although not wholly iron there will be an iron content as it is magnetic). I really wouldn't worry about one or two nails.
Fair enough I'll just leave them then seen as they do a great job at holding my aquascape together

MOF, if it will fit then why not try it in your toilet cistern... :good:

But if you haven't got time then just place a rock (or several) on it to hold it in place. Apart from my mopani tank, all the others have rocks holding them in place.

Will that help it? Or was it a joke?.....

Would i joke? :hey: :lol: It means that the wood gets to sit in water that is renewed everytime you flush your toilet. This saves you having to change the water in a bucket etc. Providing it fits and won't interfere with the working then it is a decent way to do it. Especially as you have already poured boiling water over it to remove alot of the tannins.

Hmmmmm that's a good idea then!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back