So my mom won't let me boil rocks

Bettasmommy, I got to keep a stray dog that way when i was smaller. Mom was gone for the afternoon, and I brought the dog inside, gave it a bath, fed it, and then omg cleaned up after myself. Mom was so proud of me she let me keep the dog.

Best dog ever.

Boiling/soaking the rocks should work, repeat it a few times. You shouldn't have any real issues.
 
Anyone know if its ok to put rocks in with some rust on them? I am about to boil the rocks so I don't know if that will remove the rust. If it doesn't will it be ok? I did the vinegar test and no fizzling on the rust. I need to know asap if possible.
 
I have some rock with little rust spots on them, and haven't had a problem with them. I would only be slightly concerned if you plan to keep shrimp.

As for me I boil rock, boil bogwood, and bake gravel while my mom is gone. I don't ask, I don't tell, I just do. She's never the wiser :rolleyes: . My dad has a major issue w/ me dumping tank water in the sink. So I change water every wedsnesday when he's at the bar ^_^ .

Cheers,
Mikaila31
 
Ok cool. I just finished boiling them so imma let them cool and start building some rock structures for my mbuna. I hope this will lower the level of aggression in the tank. I don't like to see them fighting so much. :) Thanks for the advice. Btw what kind of fish do you keep with your rocks?
 
Can always dump tank water in the tub. Faster drain, and you put worse stuff down it if you take a shower after working outside for a few hours.

You can also use it to water the garden, too - I've actually managed to keep some of mine alive this year since I started doing that. I also use it on brown spots in the lawn, and it works better than getting out the hose.
 
Mikaila31, Why don't you just use the water to water some plants in the house or yard? Fish tank water is a great fertilizer. Works wonders on roses.
and then it isn't as wasted. I use mine to water my Veggie garden and inturn feed the veggies to my rabbit and fish. the rabbit also provides fertilizer for his food and my tank.
 
I've kept all kinds of fish, mainly rainbows but, livebearers, rams, tetras, gouramis, corys, and a few other things. I relise that Corleone, the sink is the closest though, I'm too lazy to carry the buckets any further :blush: . I've thought of sticking the syphon out the wind though and draining the tank that way....
 
Hey guys before I put these rocks in my tank you think its gonna be ok? I got them from alongside a railroad track that doesn't even run trains anymore. The rocks look nice cept for some rust on some of them. I am just a little nervous because I spent like $100 on my fish and I dont want to ruin my tank. Can anyone reassure me with hard facts?
 
The draining out the window would be nice if you have plants there. Here in CA we are all about water concervation, so I recycle the tank water as much as possible.
 
They should be fine if you boiled them. I've never had any problem with rocks I found outside.

I live in a river town, on the border on Minnesota and Wisconsin. The land of 10,000 lakes, and flooding rivers. Theres grass outside my window, I'd just have to say sianara to all the shrimp I suck up.
 
You suck up shrimps? Well If your state has all that water, maybe it doesn't matter if you dump it down the drain. Here we have laws saying when you can water and how long ect..... It differs by county but they really want us to conserve.
 
Yea, I've been down there before and I understand why you would want to conserve water. We are more into conserving electricity and keeping our water clean. Quite a few lakes only allow electric engines or trolling motors. We don't really pay for our water, we just pay for the elecricity it takes to pump it out of the ground.

I suck up cherry shrimp, I don't really care if they go out the window they will continue to multiply in the tank.
 
What kind of fish do you have with the cherries? I just ordered some and was worried my fish would eat them. I have a Red Tailed Shark, Bleeding heart tetras, cherry barbs, white clouds, SAE, ottos and BN plecos. I've had ghost shrimp in the past and they did well. I still have a few too. Do you think they will be ok? They will be here next week!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top