So my mom won't let me boil rocks

I've used it on several ocasions, cleaning my filter when I first bought it used, my gravel in my ten gallon when cleaning out the tank and any rock tha's ever been in my tank, which is a lot, just remeber to rinse well and, let it dry for several days
 
well you can always say this:
"but Mom!  if i've sterilized my rocks, i've sterilized your pot, too!  it'll be the cleanest pot we own--look Ma, no living organisms!"

:lol: it's funny 'cause it's true.
 
tis...

and yeah..i'm not in favour of using a foreign substance such as bleach.....but if you absolutely have to, try to use some sort of biodegradable cleaning agent
 
i personally would go with the pouring boiling water over the rocks....can't gas pockets in a rock cause them to EXPLODE under enough heat? or is that only when baking rocks? maybe that is one of her concerns....also you should check out the post at http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=55806 if you are not sure if the rocks are safe for your aquarium
 
that would probably be when baking. you'd actually be more likely to explode an air pocket by suddenly changing the temperature of the rock (ie by scalding it). a gradual change in temperature would allow the rock to expand at about the same rate as any airpocket, reducing the risk of internal pressurization and subsequent explosion.
 
Well, personally, I'd do it when she's out :dunno: Hey, some of the stuff I get up to when I'm home alone... I burn things (charcoal/incense/candles), look in the cupboards to see what I've got for my bday/xmas/nearest event, raid the fridge.... But thats just me.
 
your mom should let you boil them, tell her "thats why I have no fish, they all died because the rocks weren't boiled" might work, that usually works when Im trying to do something with my aquarium. :lol:
 
Well I poured the boiling water on the rocks late last night

All seems ok, I'm just gonna monitor them in a bucket for a day or two.
 
I'm not sure about the pouring the scalding water over rocks idea. The rock has to stay at least 120*F to kill bacteria for 10 minutes at leats. Using the pouring idea sounds like too much work. ( your dishwasher should be set at 120-135*F for bacteria free dishes)
 
It's often said... it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. I doubt mom would say it's okay to dishwash the rocks... but she said not to boil them, she didn't say not to dishwash them..........

(responsibility write off) not that I would do this... because as several moms will soon reply... it is wrong. But since I thought it... I figured... why not share it... lol
 
OohFeeshy @ Mar 17 2005, 04:51 PM

Well, personally, I'd do it when she's out Dunno.gif Hey, some of the stuff I get up to when I'm home alone... I burn things (charcoal/incense/candles), look in the cupboards to see what I've got for my bday/xmas/nearest event, raid the fridge.... But thats just me.

LOL!!!!!

I also must say that I, as a parent, would at this point be so impressed that my child cared enough about the wellbeing of the fish that he wanted to boil rocks that I'd let him use my very best pots to boil them in. ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top