Snakehead

O yh just looked back through the poics and ive seen some i didnt notice it the first time. Ok thanks,. Just need to get saving now.

Sorry one more question. Would it be better to get a pair if i can sex a male and female or will it be best just to get a group and let them pair?

Just chipping in, but a 21gallon tank is not big enough for Ornatipinis (IMO).

You are limited to the very smallest of Dwarf Snakeheads such as Orientalis for that size tank.

Fire&Ice are a no no. I have some they get too big for 20g.

Why not save a little and upgrade? I think the only Snakehead you can have in a 21gallon is Orientalis.

Well thats thrown a spanner in the works. I could probably clear the 30G and put them in there if that helps for options? and then i could have a pair of dwarf pike cichlids in the 21G like i was thinking of doing before i stated looking at snakeheads.

Well thats thrown a spanner in the works. I could probably clear the 30G and put them in there if that helps for options? and then i could have a pair of dwarf pike cichlids in the 21G like i was thinking of doing before i stated looking at snakeheads.

Hi mate.
Didn't mean to burst your bubble, but in my opinion (I keep many many snakeheads, dwarfs all the way up to the biggest Miropeltes) 30gallons would be minimum for a pair of Orientalis. 20 gallons would be pushing it.

Gachuas, Stewartii, fire & Ice, Pulchra, Ornatipinis and the like all need 50gal minimum

You could also probably get away with a single Bleheri or Assam in a 30.

Ahh i dont know what to do now. I cant get a bigger tank not allowed. i really like the assams but a 30G for 1 fish .

you could try a setup with juvies and as they get older, bigger then make a choice of getting a bigger tank rehoming or keeping one or two?

you could try a setup with juvies and as they get older, bigger then make a choice of getting a bigger tank rehoming or keeping one or two?
I think ill try that. See how they get on and like you said by that time i might be able to upgrade. Thanks :good:

Because of your tank size and available funds, I would reccomend starting of with Channa Bleheri (rainbow) or sp.Assam.

Thanks. AI really like the assams. Do you know any good breeder to get them off? I would prefer to get them from a breeder than lfs.

Just chipping in, but a 21gallon tank is not big enough for Ornatipinis (IMO).

You are limited to the very smallest of Dwarf Snakeheads such as Orientalis for that size tank.

Fire&Ice are a no no. I have some they get too big for 20g.

Why not save a little and upgrade? I think the only Snakehead you can have in a 21gallon is Orientalis.

I Just thought we'd gone past the size of the tank and op was just researching set ups and different species.... :blush:

Maybe a plec but not much else in that sized tank! I have 4 plecs and a bircher in with mine but its a 200l.

Will a plec be ok with the lower temps?
If not i might go for the orientalis because then i could have a group.

Most reactions

Back