Snake heads (anybody hear of them)

juanveldez

helping big fish eat little fish everyday
Reaction score
My Borther was telling me of a fish called a snake head by his lfs by his house and I was trying to find them but can't find any info on them

Unfortunately snakeheads are now illegal to import into the United States.

I will try to find some links to a few sites I know. They are really cool fish though.

I will also try to find a link explaining why they are now illegal!!

CM

Christ CM, is that all they can think of, broad spectrum poisoning!!! Killing all the other fish in the process.... what a knuckleheaded solution! Sheeesh :angry: (Refers to article on banning them).

Snake heads are a ferral creature to the Untied States, and have been causing a disruptance in the ecosystem. Banning them from import in the US was a wise decision. ;)

I don't disagree in the banning or eradication of them, just the methods!! :angry:

I suppose banning oscars, pike cichlids, jack dempseys and any other fish that irresponsible aquarists decide to trash our waterways with would be good as well!!!!

Before long (and this is no disrespect to my Aussie friend..most of whom would agree) the United States will have a list of allowable species as short as Australia.

I'm also sure many years ago the whalers felt that whales were good for nothing but their fat, oils and the such.

And how about wolves...boy we sure were better of hunting them to near extiction, weren't we???

Snakeheads are no more dangerous than any other fish brought into this country...it's the ignorant who are dangerous, the mis-informed who are gullible enough to believe the ignorant!!!

I have had several species of snakeheads over the years and found them to be one of the most interesting of fish I kept. They make wonderful parents to their fry as well.

Now as for living out of water for up to 3 days and "walking across land to find another available water source...that is pure bull!!!!

Snakeheads are great jumpers and believe me when I say they don't fair well out of water for very long. They may last longer than a guppy or oscar, but 3 days....come on now.

CM

I remember a big scare about snakeheads in the media. They said they would quickly wipe out every other species in a pond and then sashay
across the land and invade new ponds. How could they respirate? How
could they prevent dehydration? I doubt it. At any rate the total sterilization of an eco-system seems extreme.
There is a hot spring near my home that runs into a pond. Someone put at
least one Firemouth Ciclid into it. Although he seems very happy in his
million gallon aquarium there is no chance of him competing with trout.
Away from the hot spring the water never gets above 50 degrees F.
Satek

u cant find anything cause there illigeal in the us now no wonder there worthless eating machines , unless you want to loose all your fish dont even try to have one :crazy:

he cm i think he is talking about your best buddy who has a lfs. only place where i have seen the snakeheads around here.

Not illegal to buy or own, only to import. My LFS has a source that is working on a breeding program so they can sell them to fish stores.

As for being "eating machines" so am I!! ;) ;) Sure hope nobody puts a ban on me :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as being worthless....I wouldn't say that!! They are very interesting fish.

For those interested, there are several species of snakehead that can be housed with other fish!! It is up to the keeper to background these fish and find out what can be housed with them.

As with any of the bigger, more aggressive fish available they do what comes naturally....EAT SMALLER FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This does not make them worthless!!!

CM

I'm sure I was misunderstood a while back, I just don't agree that if they need to be controlled it should be through broad spectrum poisoning. In agree CM that it is the fishkeepers responsibility in the first place not to release the fish. They are truly amazing fish, there are at least 6 species of Channa available to me at my lfs, some of them are extremely beautifully marked fish to boot, as well as being fascinating in their own right. There are a few species that only get to several inches in length that do well in planted tanks. They go mad for earthworms, which are always available. Maybe when the fishouse is built eh, CM? (Am planning a planted tank, Far Eastern themed).... :thumbs:

you know what while we are at it the broad spectrum poisioning why don't we just kill all the fish in the Great Lakes too!!!!!!! just so we can get rid of those damned lampreys..........

In the uk, u can still buy snake heads, i was going to get one...Untill i read up on them, and i thought twice.. :( :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back