Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Christina88

Reaction score
Hey ya'll just wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of snails I have? I didn't buy them they were just on so live plants I bought. At first there was only 4 and its been about a week or 2 and now I have all kinds of babies and they are very small. The biggest one I have but can't find at the moment is no bigger than a penny.

Attachments

• 20200930_114156.jpg
    20200930_114156.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200930_114200.jpg
    20200930_114200.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 80
They are pond snails, they are considered natural addition to tanks and one benefit is they will eat algae from plants and glass.

Some folks consider them pests and will suggest various methods of getting rid of them.

Personally, I like snails and think they do benefit the aquarium so I tend to keep them in my tanks along with MTS and sometimes assassin snails.

It helps not to overfeed your livestock as this will encourage snail population growth if there is a plentiful food supply.

They are pond snails, they are considered natural addition to tanks and one benefit is they will eat algae from plants and glass.

Some folks consider them pests and will suggest various methods of getting rid of them.

Personally, I like snails and think they do benefit the aquarium so I tend to keep them in my tanks along with MTS and sometimes assassin snails.

It helps not to overfeed your livestock as this will encourage snail population growth if there is a plentiful food supply.

Oh ok thanks and I like them just wasn't sure what kind they were or if they would hurt anything. Lol

Some fish such as gold Guaramis and clown loaches will eat those snails.
From my experience anyway.

Oh ok thanks and I like them just wasn't sure what kind they were or if they would hurt anything. Lol

No they won’t hurt anything at all.

They eat algae, leftover fish food & debris etc

Some pond snails, there are different species of them, may eat plant leaves and suchlike but if they have been in your tank awhile think you may have noticed that by now and would have said something perhaps.

But for the majority of these types of snails, perfectly harmless to both livestock and plants.

Lymnaea pond snails are intermediate hosts for various parasites including intestinal worms. You don't want them in the tank.

Some fish such as gold Guaramis and clown loaches will eat those snails.
From my experience anyway.
Most botia like clown loaches will eat snails. But since they're also a very bright and social fish that needs a minimum group size of six or more, and get very large, they're not suitable for most tanks. You're looking at 150 gallons plus to house a group of clowns.

Much easier ways to reduce 'pest' snail populations than to use a fish for it.
Take a look at just how big a healthy, non-stunted clown loach can get... not a good idea to get these as snail control:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back