What's new

Snails shells dissolving

Smilecentaur

Reaction score
My nerite snails shells have been slowly been getting eaten away by my water. I have well water that comes in for my use and the fish tank is planted. I had been feeding them snailoo and I have a cuttlefish bone in the tank. I was wondering if this is enough to promote the regrowth of their snail shells because as of yet I haven't seen much progress.

Colin_T

Reaction score
You need to keep the pH above 7.0 to stop the acids dissolving the shell.

You can add some limestone rock, dead coral rubble or shells to the tank or filter. Add a small amount and monitor the pH over a week. If it drops then add more and monitor for another week. Continue adding limestone, coral or shells until the pH remains around 7.0.

OP
S

Smilecentaur

Reaction score
You need to keep the pH above 7.0 to stop the acids dissolving the shell.

You can add some limestone rock, dead coral rubble or shells to the tank or filter. Add a small amount and monitor the pH over a week. If it drops then add more and monitor for another week. Continue adding limestone, coral or shells until the pH remains around 7.0.
Will doing this negatively affect the plant life within the aquarium?

Aussie_Bristle

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
No. I use calgrit in my tanks and the plants thrive off it. My snails shells are also really good and it keeps my ph at 7.4 at all times