Snails shells dissolving

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Smilecentaur

Reaction score
My nerite snails shells have been slowly been getting eaten away by my water. I have well water that comes in for my use and the fish tank is planted. I had been feeding them snailoo and I have a cuttlefish bone in the tank. I was wondering if this is enough to promote the regrowth of their snail shells because as of yet I haven't seen much progress.

You need to keep the pH above 7.0 to stop the acids dissolving the shell.

You can add some limestone rock, dead coral rubble or shells to the tank or filter. Add a small amount and monitor the pH over a week. If it drops then add more and monitor for another week. Continue adding limestone, coral or shells until the pH remains around 7.0.

You need to keep the pH above 7.0 to stop the acids dissolving the shell.

You can add some limestone rock, dead coral rubble or shells to the tank or filter. Add a small amount and monitor the pH over a week. If it drops then add more and monitor for another week. Continue adding limestone, coral or shells until the pH remains around 7.0.
Will doing this negatively affect the plant life within the aquarium?

No. I use calgrit in my tanks and the plants thrive off it. My snails shells are also really good and it keeps my ph at 7.4 at all times

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back