Snails Problems

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hmm, there is something present in the tank water column or on the tank surfaces that’s affecting your snails.

First, want to ask how did you clean the tank before adding water and tank equipment?

Did you use any chemicals or glass cleaner stuff, anything like that.

Second, the plants, can’t tell if they’re real or fake in the photos at the moment.
If real plants, where did you get them from and have they been treated with any insecticide or chemicals?

If fake plants, are they from a reputable source and made from plastic and resins or something else?
Also, did you clean these fake plants before adding to tank?
If so, how did you clean the tank?

Lastly, did you cycle this tank?

Some of these questions may be obvious but eliminating obvious causes may help determine what is happening.

Hmm, there is something present in the tank water column or on the tank surfaces that’s affecting your snails.

First, want to ask how did you clean the tank before adding water and tank equipment?

Did you use any chemicals or glass cleaner stuff, anything like that.

Second, the plants, can’t tell if they’re real or fake in the photos at the moment.
If real plants, where did you get them from and have they been treated with any insecticide or chemicals?

If fake plants, are they from a reputable source and made from plastic and resins or something else?
Also, did you clean these fake plants before adding to tank?
If so, how did you clean the tank?

Lastly, did you cycle this tank?

Some of these questions may be obvious but eliminating obvious causes may help determine what is happening.
When I first got the tank, I only used vinegar and a bit of baking soda. I made sure to rinse it completely. I use Seachem Prime, no other cleaners or chemicals. There are no plants, real or fake in the tank currently. Yes, the tank was completely cycled.
A few days ago I tore down the tank. I rinsed it out, used only baking soda and a tiiiiiny bit of bleach I made sure to wash it out very very VERY well. I added new gravel and a filter from an established tank. Today, I added a few ramshorns to the tank, as well as to a 20 gallon I set up around the same time. The snails in both tanks moved around for a little while, then slowly stopped. They sort of look like they are paralyzed, in some way.

I wonder if its worth you doing a test for copper on your water source? API do a test kit.
is it tap water that you use?

can you think of any possible contaminants such as something sprayed in the room? or any cream/soap/perfume on your hands?

I wonder if its worth you doing a test for copper on your water source? API do a test kit.
is it tap water that you use?

can you think of any possible contaminants such as something sprayed in the room? or any cream/soap/perfume on your hands?
I normally have gloves on. (made for aquarium use) No, I don't think there is any chance of contaminants in the air. I haven't done a copper test. I run all my tanks on well water. The strange thing is that the snails do fine in a bigger tank I have, with the same water. Even when I fill the new tank with that water, (which I tried to see if it would make any sort of difference) the same thing happens.

What is the nitrates in the tank they survive in?
The nitrates are much higher than I normally would find safe. The tank is a goldfish tank, due for a water change today anyway.
099B813C-ED72-4715-AC91-1AD3A711BF5F.jpeg

Holy cow those are some high nitrates!

My snails (BRH) usually look like that if they don’t have enough food, or if there are high ammonia readings.

My snails (BRH) usually look like that if they don’t have enough food, or if there are high ammonia readings.
Yeah, it’s a little out of control. All my other tanks stay around 5-10, when due for a water change, but normally 0. That goldfish tank always has high nitrates.

They are high indeed, but interestingly, OP says that the snails stay alive (I won't say thrive) in the high nitrate water, but are dying in the another tank where the water appears to be ok. Its bizzare.

They are high indeed, but interestingly, OP says that the snails stay alive (I won't say thrive) in the high nitrate water, but are dying in the another tank where the water appears to be ok. Its bizzare.
Yeah, that’s why I’m so stumped. I had a few in a breeder box for a while, in the high nitrate tank, and they were breeding and eating like normal. (Not thriving, but doing well.) as soon as I tried moving them to the cleaner water, they would eventually die.
image.jpg
As soon as I saw the same thing happening, the look of “paralyzing” I pulled them out and right back into the high nitrate water. It took them all day to slowly revive. If I had left them in the tank, they would have stayed paralyzed like that and died.

Yeah, that’s why I’m so stumped. I had a few in a breeder box for a while, in the high nitrate tank, and they were breeding and eating like normal. (Not thriving, but doing well.) as soon as I tried moving them to the cleaner water, they would eventually die. View attachment 113981As soon as I saw the same thing happening, the look of “paralyzing” I pulled them out and right back into the high nitrate water. It took them all day to slowly revive. If I had left them in the tank, they would have stayed paralyzed like that and died.
So when you get round to doing the water change and therefore removing the high nitrates, do you expect the snails to be ok afterwards?

So when you get round to doing the water change and therefore removing the high nitrates, do you expect the snails to be ok afterwards?
They always are. Even if I move the snails to the new tank after the water change, so both have similar nitrates, the same thing happens.

They also look like they are deprived of hardness. Snails need calcium to live, if you are lacking in calcium, their shells will have dips and cracks in them.

Most reactions

trending

Back