Snails on ebay

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

debiasir

fancy goldfish rule!!!
Reaction score
Hi i have found loads of auctions for snails on ebay. I was wondering has any one bought snails of ebay before and how do they arrive. like in a pot or something

eBay is hit and miss. If they're a reputable or good seller then they'll probably arrive either in a small bag of water or more likely moist newspaper properly warmed with heat packs and carefully packaged. I've bought snails online before but never through eBay.

I got some online once, not from ebay but privately from an aquabid seller. She took the box and lined it with about 3/4" styrofoam on all sides and bottom, then put in crushed up newspaper. She put the snails (MTS) in a bag and then two more bags around it-so triple bagged-and then wrapped them in more newspaper and put them in the box. Then put more newspaper on top, then another piece of styrofoam for the top with a heat pack taped to it. Very well packed, that one. There were 50 snails and all of them were fine.

I got 14 last week from ebay, 12 Jade apple snails and 2 red striped apple snails, very nice snails. They arrived in tuppaware type containers with wet fibre matting of some sort. 2 died soon after going in my tanks, but were not DOA, and the rest are fine. As stated, it depends who you are buying from, do check thier feedback and don't order if your not sure.

Jon

im looking to buy some apple snails from ebay,

is there a certain number you should have per tank?

look at my sig for my specs

thanks

You can have four or five although they don't eat algae or clean up aquariums too good if you're looking for them to do that.

Like fish, they add to the appearence of the tank. Some species of snail will eat algae but like many species of Plecos, they're not a primary algae eater. In fact Apple snails, depending on the species, eat plants. It's just another of the myths or mistakes in the aquarium hobby. The unwritten assumption is snails eat algae, Plecos eat algae, etc when it's only true to a certain type.

Pomacea Bridgisii will eat some algae, but won't clean your tank of it and they will not eat plants. They will also eat left over fish food (flake/pellets/frozen) so are good scavangers, bit like a cory and an oto rolled into one :D

look at http://www.applesnail.net for excellent info.

Jon

They won't bother waiting for scraps. They'll go and take it from other fish. Mine are like slow moving thieves who steal whatever they can grab and hide in their foot. :lol: I have 12 of them and they all do it.

Hmmm.....Would anyone want to try to send me some snails via "snail mail" lol pardon the pun ;).....I live in canada and I am willing to pay for the shipping and stuff :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back