Snails and KIllifish eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a 10g with Clown Killis that im trying to breed. The tank is planted and mature, so the fry should be able to live on the microorganisms already there.
The problem is I have ramshorn snails. Will they eat killi eggs? I have read that they won't but does anyone have experience with this?

Here's a sure fire trick for breeding Pseudepiplatys annulatus passed on to me by a Master. Tie some Vesicularia dubyana Java Moss to a cork so it acts as a floating Killie mop. This guy claims they then become as easy as guppies. Ditch the snails though.

Get a big bunch of the Java Moss and tie it to the cork loosely with a piece of thread. The fish deposit the eggs into this. They are a floating mop spawner but a yarn mop is a bit heavy for these small fish. @GaryE any thoughts here ?

Ramshorns are innocent. Pond snails aren't.

I have put ramshorns in petrie dishes with killie eggs, and they haven't eaten them. Whether that's food choice, or the eggs have chemical defenses that work with them is not clear. But in spite of my ramshorn hating for decades, I wronged the poor things.

Pond snails, or bladder snails in the same experiment devoured all the eggs.

I have put ramshorns in petrie dishes with killie eggs, and they haven't eaten them. Whether that's food choice, or the eggs have chemical defenses that work with them is not clear. But in spite of my ramshorn hating for decades, I wronged the poor things.

So I guess my ramshorns won't cause any trouble in breeding

Fascinating. Valuable information.

A guy in the local club said he was using ramshorns to clean eggs. This was hard for me to believe. So what do you do in such a case?
Test it.

I could not have been more surprised.

Hi Gary,

I'm new to hobby and was planning to add snails to my tank. Is there a type that isn't going to cause issues, suits beginner, but does a job cleaning and eating algae? And how many for a 75ltr tank. I'm upgrading from 60 litre this week and not sure if i need to wait for a while before adding snails.

@JCW_1 While I'm defending the honour of ramshorns here, I am one of those aquarists who thinks snails are all basically pest creatures in a tank. There are a lot of people here who like snails, and if I were you, I would post a query, with a new thread, and see what you get.

I got vaguely interested in land snails last week, because my yard is full of them. I recently moved here, and these are new to me. It turns out they seem to be invasive European corpse snails. Oh why did Sponge Bob name his snail Gary?

All snails (including ramshorns) will eat fish eggs and so will shrimp. If you want to breed any fish, you need to get rid of all the snails and shrimp out of the tank and leave just the fish.

You will need to pick out the adult snails and look for any jelly clumps in the tank. These are the eggs.

You should also check the plants for Hydra because they will eat baby fish.

All snails (including ramshorns) will eat fish eggs and so will shrimp. If you want to breed any fish, you need to get rid of all the snails and shrimp out of the tank and leave just the fish.

You will need to pick out the adult snails and look for any jelly clumps in the tank. These are the eggs.

You should also check the plants for Hydra because they will eat baby fish.
Looks like I've got my work cut out for me

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back