Snail Possibilities

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Hey friends,

I have multiple tanks running with a pH of 7.0 and I use pure R/O water and add a stabilizer. That's it.

It has been my understanding that I would be unable to keep shrimp/snails due to a lack of minerals in the water. That being said - I currently have an infestation of pond snails.

How is this possible? I'd love to add some mystery snails to my tanks for algae control and/or cherry shrimp for clean up crew but I was under the impression that they would never survive.

Any thoughts?

Snails and shrimp need a small amount of calcium in their diet or in the water. They also do best in water with a pH of 7.0 or higher. In water with a lower pH, the acid water slowly degrades the shell.

A lot of snails and shrimp are found in soft water but they need a pH of 7.0 or above, which you have. In soft water, their shells generally don't get as thick compared to snails kept in hard water.

Snails and shrimp need a small amount of calcium in their diet or in the water. They also do best in water with a pH of 7.0 or higher. In water with a lower pH, the acid water slowly degrades the shell.

A lot of snails and shrimp are found in soft water but they need a pH of 7.0 or above, which you have. In soft water, their shells generally don't get as thick compared to snails kept in hard water.
So based on the info provided, it sounds like my tank environment may be able to handle snails and/or shrimp?

I was under the impression that what I have is not sufficient.

I'm convinced that pest snails could live in a bucket of gasoline, if they had to...highly adaptable.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to try one mystery snail, as see how it goes...they're not much help in cleaning algae though, nerite snails are better suited for that.

I was under the impression that what I have is not sufficient.
It depends on the species of snail and what the actual GH of your water is. Also what you feed them. If the GH is over 50ppm and you put a bit of cuttlebone in the tank, snails should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back