Snail Breeding

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
Well I just got myself a dwarf puffer and am working on snails. My local petsmart has a bunch of Nerite snails in their tanks and will give me as many as I please. Issue is they live 15-20 min away from my house and I prefer not to drive out there weekly for snails so I would like to breed them at my house. I am debating breeding in my 10 gallon but dont want to be over run by snails or have all my plants eaten by them. I have an extra 5 gallon in the garage and an extra heater/ filter but parents are getting on me about having to many tanks. Would a jar work out if I poke small holes in the lid (smaller them them) and toss some algae pellets inside for food?
 
Are you sure they are nerite snails? I think nerites don't breed in freshwater (correct me if I'm wrong). You will need to get hold of some pest snails like pond, ramshorn, pouch/tadpole snails. These are prolific breeders and don't need any heating.

A filtered tank will be a much easier option but if not, a good sized jar or tub with plenty of plant clippings on the window sill will do. The jar option means you'll have to do water changes every few days instead of once a week.
 
I don't know what type they where but there fresh water. I just tossed a bunch in my puffer tank and just ate them all and it was 7 or so. I will try my 10 gallon, I just don't want them going crazy.
 
Nerites live in fresh water but need salt water to reproduce.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top