Small White Patches And Spots

Blueyplumpie

New Member
Joined
May 17, 2008
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello,

I have 10 mollies; 2 white, 4 black, 3 gold and 1 black and gold. I discovered yesterday that one of my white mollies (female) had small white patches and spots on her tail fin, they were near the end of her fin. I was like :hyper: I wasn't sure whether it was a disease so I didn't act until today when I diagnosed her symptoms as ich. This was through the process of elimination, I didn't know any other diseases that had these symptoms so I therefore treated the whole tank (to make sure that the others who might have got it too were treated and to prevent further risk) with the appropriate treatment. I wasn't entirely sure whether this was the right treatment and if I had done a bad diagnoses. I just checked and the end quarter of her tail fin is whitened and has intenser white spots in the white area. None of my other fish have any problems so far. Also her dorsal fin (thats the top one right) has a tiny bit of white area but her tail fin is the most noticeably mangled place. Also she seems to be holding her tail to one side when floating around. I hope i haven't just poisoned them all with ich treatment when they don't have any ich. :blush: Please help me identify the disease.

Thanks in advance.
 
How many gallons or litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
The whitespots on the fish are they the size of a grain of salt.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing against objects in the tank.
If the spots are bigger than a size of a grain of salt do they have any redness to the spots, like a circling of red on the outside of the spot or a red centre.
The white patch does it look bleached out or fluffy in appearance.
 
How many gallons or litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
The whitespots on the fish are they the size of a grain of salt.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing against objects in the tank.
If the spots are bigger than a size of a grain of salt do they have any redness to the spots, like a circling of red on the outside of the spot or a red centre.
The white patch does it look bleached out or fluffy in appearance.

The tank is 12 gallons. I have 10 mollies, 4 black, 2 white, 3 gold and 1 black and gold. The one with the 'problem' is white female. I don't know water stats but they aren't too bad i think. I changed water two days ago and added water conditioner and 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. The whitespots are more like areas of white rather than spots. No rubbing. No redness at all. The white patch isn't fluffy and I don't understand what you mean by bleached out. By the way thanks for the rapid reply. :rolleyes:
 
Ok so there patches not spots.
If there no signs of flicking and rubbing dosn't sound like a parasite involved yet.
Bleaching of the skin can be columnaris and it can also affect the fins.
I would take a sample of your water to the lfs and tell them to write the readings down for you.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm
 
Ok so there patches not spots.
If there no signs of flicking and rubbing dosn't sound like a parasite involved yet.
Bleaching of the skin can be columnaris and it can also affect the fins.
I would take a sample of your water to the lfs and tell them to write the readings down for you.
<a href="http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm" target="_blank">http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm</a>

Whats lfs? by the way the white patches aren't as fuzzy as the picture that was in the link that you provided. They are more like cloudy stains more than stuff growing on it. Maybe it's because it hasn't developed properly yet.
 
Local fish store or shop.
 
I edited my post fyi. Also she's is breathing very fast. Well her gills are moving very fast and she doesn't seem to want to eat any food. Luckily none of the other fish seem to effected so far so thats good.
 
If the fish isn't flicking and rubbing I would treat it as columnaris.
Can you issolate the sick fish for treatment.
 
Yup. Only about 2 1/2 gallons though. Is that big enough? Is the disease really lethal as in will i find her floating upside down tommorow?
 
Yes if its a bad strain of bacteria.
Do some daily water changes on your tank to dilute the bacteria down.
You will need an airstone in the hospital tank as med reduce 02 in the water.
 
I'm still not totally sure whether it is columnaris because on the link the picture has fluffy kind of stuff on the body and so far mine has nothing at all on the body but that may be because it is white.
 
Sorry thought you meant the patches were on the body, so you mean there on the fins, if so you still will need to treat her with a bacterial med.
 
Its ok. Is bacterial med just one medication for all types of bacteria or do I need a specific one?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top