Small Holes In Betta's Fins

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

-FighterFishh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Recently I've noticed a tiny hole, about 1mm long in my betta's fin. He's swimming normally and doesn't seem out of character, but I'd just like to know what's happening?
I don't think it's fin rot, as doesn't that start at the tips of the fins, not in the center?
I'll try and get a photo at some point today but if anyone can guess what it is or has any solutions, I'd really like to know what you think! :lol:
Thank you!

Finrot can start as pinholes in the fins or thin looking fins. Increase waterchanges for a week and see if it improves.
Cheers

Finrot can start as pinholes in the fins or thin looking fins. Increase waterchanges for a week and see if it improves.
Cheers

Oh bum :crazy:
Thank you for the advice! I'll do some water changes every day for a week and see if that helps :)

I did a 50% change today and Chai didn't seem to mind too much. In fact, he actually seemed pretty interested in the water being put back in again! :lol:

Did another water change yesterday, changed the filter cartridge and started the tank on a small course of melafix.

Small holes can also just be from the betta flaring. I had a betta that would flare often and he always developed round holes in his tail fin. They always healed back up with no problem.

Small holes can also just be from the betta flaring. I had a betta that would flare often and he always developed round holes in his tail fin. They always healed back up with no problem.

He's incredibly dosile, I haven't even seen him flare once, so I don't think it's that :(

His fins near his body are now becoming more see-through, and the holes are a little bigger.
I'm starting to think that he's had finrot since I got him, but I just put it down to him tearing the ends of him fins a little on the media in the tank. I feel like such an idiot :(

I thought the same with my boy Thai, so your not a idiot at all. (or we both are, 1 of the 2 :lol: )
I used melafix first but this had no effect and he got worse so I gave him a 5 day course of myxazin and now his fins are growing back great.

I thought the same with my boy Thai, so your not a idiot at all. (or we both are, 1 of the 2 :lol: )
I used melafix first but this had no effect and he got worse so I gave him a 5 day course of myxazin and now his fins are growing back great.

:lol: Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
My mum picked up some stronger medicine which I'll be starting to use from today, seeing as the Melafix seems to be having no effect at all :crazy:

Just an update!
I'm really please to say that he's on the mend! The brown patches that appeared are slowly disappearing, and he seems to be more active, too! He's now found a new favourite place, which is under the ornament surrounding the bubble tube. I've obviously put it back in at an angle by accident, but he loves snooping around under there, so I'll leave it be. :lol:

Yay :D I'm glad your little betta is doing better!

Thank you! But I'm afraid it's seeming short lived. The browness is coming out again and he's seeming to rest more. :sad:
I've treated the tank with another dose of medicine and I'm hoping that'll clear it up. I'm thinking I might have to do a much longer course of medication that I at first thought :(

Mine had a tiny pin prick hole and I wasn't sure whether it was me being paranoid or if he did have a hole. Now it's gotten bigger! Should I do anything or just leave it to heal?

Mine had a tiny pin prick hole and I wasn't sure whether it was me being paranoid or if he did have a hole. Now it's gotten bigger! Should I do anything or just leave it to heal?

I'd say you should do daily water changes to keep the water in good shape for a week, and then if that doesn't help put him on a course of fin rot treatment. That's what I did for Chai :good:

Most reactions

Back