Small african cichlids and redtail shark

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
When I spoke to the pet shop they said i could find another 2 cixhlids in the 100l tank feed mainly pellets and veggies and on the very odd occasion some frozen shrimp as a treat
I didn't think it would be to much of an issue as the peacocks tend to grow slightly bigger than the mbuna but they didnt specify the types of cichlids I've just taken a guess from doing research
I get the water tested weekly after each water change at my local fish shop and yes when I've saved up some money I will be buying hopefully a 300l aquarium for then
Please don't listen to this pet shops advice anymore. They've clearly steered you wrong from the start. Always do your own research before buying fish, and be sure of the species too, since different species have different requirements.
They sold you a very bad mix of fish, and didn't even ID species... that's not advice to trust anymore.

To keep fish, you really need your own test kit too. At least to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. GH you can find out from your water company, since I assume you're using your tapwater in the tank? So the GH will be the same as the source water. If you're getting it tested at the store in the meantime though, make sure to get and write down the actual numbers from the test tesults, don't just let them tell you "it's fine". You need to know and understand the numbers when you keep a tank.

Thank you I am fairly mew to fish keeping I have had guppies gouranis etc but I wanted to try something more advanced so I will separate them into different 30pl tanks and go from there and get a testing kit if you have any other advice I would really appreciate it u want to look after these fish best as I can

Please don't listen to this pet shops advice anymore. They've clearly steered you wrong from the start. Always do your own research before buying fish, and be sure of the species too, since different species have different requirements.
They sold you a very bad mix of fish, and didn't even ID species... that's not advice to trust anymore.

To keep fish, you really need your own test kit too. At least to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. GH you can find out from your water company, since I assume you're using your tapwater in the tank? So the GH will be the same as the source water. If you're getting it tested at the store in the meantime though, make sure to get and write down the actual numbers from the test tesults, don't just let them tell you "it's fine". You need to know and understand the numbers when you keep a tank.
to try something more advanced I will sort the

Sounds good :)
Yep, you're not the only one who has trusted fish store advice and been burned, it happens way more often than it should I'm afraid! It makes sense to ask the store since they're the ones selling fish, and they should know! but all too often they don't know, or they give bad advice just to sell some fish.

I'd recommend getting a liquid test kit like the API master freshwater test kit, over getting dip strips. Liquid test kits might look more expensive initially, but they give you far more tests than the dip strips do, so they're actually better value over time, but more importantly-they're more accurate than the dip strip tests. When something is going wrong, or you're cycling a new tank, you need accurate results, and the liquid test kits are the way to go for that.

Sounds good :)
Yep, you're not the only one who has trusted fish store advice and been burned, it happens way more often than it should I'm afraid! It makes sense to ask the store since they're the ones selling fish, and they should know! but all too often they don't know, or they give bad advice just to sell some fish.

I'd recommend getting a liquid test kit like the API master freshwater test kit, over getting dip strips. Liquid test kits might look more expensive initially, but they give you far more tests than the dip strips do, so they're actually better value over time, but more importantly-they're more accurate than the dip strip tests. When something is going wrong, or you're cycling a new tank, you need accurate results, and the liquid test kits are the way to go for that.
Thank you I going to go to a larger more established store for my next water test and hopefully save up for a testing kit and go from there

I was going to say something just like that previous post.

If they can't tell you what species it is....how can they tell you how big it gets, what to feed it, and other proper care?

You had to do your own research and found out that you had mbuna and peacock.....they couldn't even do that!

If they can't tell you what species it is....how can they tell you how big it gets, what to feed it, and other proper care?

You had to do your own research and found out that you had mbuna and peacock.....they couldn't even do that!
No I

No I understand I did try do some research and probably ly should have they to find this forum sooner but they're still small so I'm fairly confident they are ok for a few weeks max for now but I assumed that the pet shop new what they were on about at the end of the day I just want to give the best care to my fish

No I

No I understand I did try do some research and probably ly should have they to find this forum sooner but they're still small so I'm fairly confident they are ok for a few weeks max for now but I assumed that the pet shop new what they were on about at the end of the day I just want to give the best care to my fish

I think you misunderstood. I'm saying you did a good job of finding out what fish you had and give the right care. Keep up on the research.

The fish store did a bad job here. They didn't even tell you what kind of fish they gave you.

Point is, do your own research and don't listen to that store any more.

I think you misunderstood. I'm saying you did a good job of finding out what fish you had and give the right care. Keep up on the research.

The fish store did a bad job here. They didn't even tell you what kind of fish they gave you.

Point is, do your own research and don't listen to that store any more.
[/QUOTE
Thank you I have changed stored and will go to then tomorrow for the extras I need

If the fish are healthy and well kept, I'd continue to shop there. Just make sure to do your own research.

Hi there I have just noticed this on one of my cichlids belly is it anything to worry about?

Attachments

• 20201005_164115.jpg
    20201005_164115.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 95
I see a poo coming out lol.

Is that what you're referring to?

The fish shop said it could be anchor worm but as they havent done much research though I should check here

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back