Small african cichlids and redtail shark

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bruno2002

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Both there I have 2 inch redtail shark and 2 1 inch african cichlids will the redtail shark bully them as he is much larger

Both there I have 2 inch redtail shark and 2 1 inch african cichlids will the redtail shark bully them as he is much larger
How big of a tank is it? These are both highly incompatible fish. They need different water and are both highly aggressive.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What species of cichlid did you get?

Hi there the water was tested I cant remember exactly however they said it was ok for then both but I have 100l tank and I will upgrade later I have a peacock cichlid and a mauna cichlid who grew up together but they will be moved later in a few months

I have removed the redtail shark I I ky just thought the cichlids and have a larger tank at another property for the redtail shark the cichlids ar 1 and a half inch max and they are my favourite fus so I'll keep the alone and do it that way

Well a little more to throw at you....

Mbuna and peacock really aren't compatible either. Some people do it, but it's heavily not recommend. Mbuna are more aggressive and also have different diets. Mbuna need more veggies. Too much protein will bloat and kill them. Peacocks need more meaty diets.

Also, since Africans are so aggressive, it is common practice to stock heavily so fish can not be singled out. With only 2 fish, it's likely one will kill the other.

If you post a pic at least we can tell you what species you have.

I could get a few more cichlids for the tank if you recommend

Attachments

• 16018874697442998004178163848212.jpg
    16018874697442998004178163848212.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 16018874882692302217433794420465.jpg
    16018874882692302217433794420465.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 160
When I spoke to the pet shop they said i could find another 2 cixhlids in the 100l tank feed mainly pellets and veggies and on the very odd occasion some frozen shrimp as a treat

I didn't think it would be to much of an issue as the peacocks tend to grow slightly bigger than the mbuna but they didnt specify the types of cichlids I've just taken a guess from doing research

I can't say that adding more fish to a tank that is already too small is a good idea... the best line of action would be to have a proper tank size and stock accordingly.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the mbuna is an albino auratus and I cannot tell what the peacock is. Peacocks will color up as they get bigger and it will be easier to ID. Maybe someone else can figure it out.

Aside from aggression, as previously mentioned you still have 2 fish that need different diets. There is no way to make sure one fish eats the right food.

Ok thank you for the reply I will probably give one to my dad who has a 300l tank I will get a later one in a few months or so and prove it keep one and stock up with 5 or 6 more in the future

I get the water tested weekly after each water change at my local fish shop and yes when I've saved up some money I will be buying hopefully a 300l aquarium for then

Most reactions

Back