Slow loading

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Munroco

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a fairly powerful PC and very fast broadband, yet pictures are taking forever to load. (not just in this section). Are the pics particularly large? or is there some other reason. Twice I've went to vote and have given up. I still haven't seen all the pics.

Run an internet speed test on a site like speedtest.net ( US site)..there may a similar type of site in Scotland to test your internet speed. Probably at least 10mbps or higher would be good. Also close any other open tabs on your browser. Also you might try doing a full power off and then restart your computer. (you probably already know the above)

Last edited:
I have a very good internet on my my gaming pc and it still load so slow, sometimes it takes half an hour to load.

Run an internet speed test on a site like speedtest.net ( US site)..there may a similar type of site in Scotland to test your internet speed. Probably at least 10mbps or higher would be good. Also close any other open tabs on your browser. Also you might try doing a full power off and then restart your computer. (you probably already know the above)
I use Ookla, ATM its running about 130MBPS but I usually get about 400MBPS, It's a really fast connection.

I only have 50 mbps and photos load pretty quickly. I believe our site performs a backup in early morning hours your time. Maybe try looking at photo pages later in your day after say 9 am.

Last edited:
OK Speedtest tells me I am getting an average 376 mbps. I still can't load the entry pics. Is there a size limit for them? I would have voted in the last comp but couldn't.

Mine are slow to upload, but only because of my terrible WiFi.

(By the way, why is this thread posted in the “Monthly Contest” section?)

any other members having this issue?
Mine loads slow, but only because of my terrible WiFi. When I’m at the library, or McDonalds, they load super fast.

A monthly contest thread will naturally load slow, because of all of the photos. No surprise there.

I've just done a speed test - 16.96 mbps (we're a long way from the exchange and too mean to pay extra for faster speed). The photos in the contests take maybe 3 seconds to load, but the photos in some threads do take a while, especially those with lots of photos per post like NCaquatics' wonderful photos threads.

Does the device make a difference?
I use a Windows 10 laptop.

Up until a couple of years ago we were getting 4 mbps. Then we had a free upgrade to fibre which boosted it to ~17.

I think the main issue is just some of the photos in that thread are huge. I've made a change on the back end to allow a max resolution to 1600x1600. That should speed things up.

Most reactions

Back