Skimmer Or Refugium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Once the bed is in the tank, never disturb it .

This is the part that I disagree with. My point is that Dr. Ron with all of his experience is unlikely to experience the problems from Hydrogen sulphide that far less experienced hobbyists will be prone to.

Far safer to give it a GENTLE stir IMO

lol depends.. so debatable. If the bed is not completely established before things are added and just kill the "live" sand i'd say stir stir, but if you wait the year from what I have read it would seem you can stir less or not as deep =). CALFO though recommends sifting animals! This means STIR! Like the sea star. He says sifters are good, infauna killers/eaters bad so STIR away! =) I will stir the top 1.5" of mine, but leave the rest to my creatures. I think I will find more opinions and articles on it though as soon as possible. Maybe some peer reviewed articles......

-Tyler

I'm curious as to why you didn't complete the sentence I wrote. You're misrepresenting what I said as I stated to not vacuum the sandbed unless you vacuum a very small amount as it will remove the beneficial creatures found at the top of the bed.

I've edited the posts because I thought of something more to say.

I am bowing out of this forum as I'm the new kid on the block. GL to all.

You have changed what you originally said!

If you had more to say why not add a fresh post instead of altering what you had already said.

I only posted part of your reply because the rest was irrelevant - just a vacuum of the surface will not prevent the hydrogen sulphide build ups!

Yes it does, and it's not a bad idea at all. I forgot, which one are you going to do?

Still undecided. I suspect I'll get a skimmer. Can't go too wrong there.
smile.gif

No, you really cannot, just please buy a good one. A cheap one won't do anything for your tank and you'll be throwing money away.

Do you know where I can find TwoTank?

No, you really cannot, just please buy a good one. A cheap one won't do anything for your tank and you'll be throwing money away.

Do you know where I can find TwoTank?

I need to go to work so ttyl. :nod:

I'm sorry, I split the topic. We were very off-topic and I really felt that the original intent of the thread was getting lost in what was, IMO, a complete misunderstanding in both parties. If you two want to continue the discussion on dsb, a very controversial subject in which there are many diverging opinions even among celebrated scientists, then I'll restore the material and put it in a new thread.

IMO, Xraymark, depends on the size of the tank. For I'd say 20g or less and you're not employing a sump, refugiums are very handy at nutrient export and can offer multiple functions. For larger tanks, skim away... That being said, if you don't want stuff hanging off the tank. If you really don't want that.

Put macro in your display. You'll get the nutrient export and you wont' have to deal with either a skimmer or a refugium. Macro can be very successfully incorporated into a display tank if you take some precautions such as added surface agitation.

Thank you.

L

Thank you LLJ

No - in light of how this discussion went I think it is best that it does not continue.

Yeah thanks for everybody's input.

I suspect I will go with a skimmer. It will be few weeks anyway before money is spent.
smile.gif

Hi i would look at an alternative method as my refugium gave off too much light when i had the tank lights switched off and drove me mad so i swiched it off about 6 months ago after being offered a trial for a new product. I wont say its brand name as dunno if they allow that on here as i am new.
I just emptied my HOB refugium and put these cubes in the part where the plastic rings were and switched back on. I always had nitrates that wobbled between 40 and 80 depending on if i had kept on top of water changes.
When i put them in i was at 40 i had not seen any change in 2 weeks so when they contacted me for an update they asked what rate i was pumping water at and said a 230 lph pump i was using was too slow through the cubes and i should either speed up the flow or put an airstone in the amongst the cubes. I went with the air stone(it was cheaper) Then in 5 days nitrates were 10 then another few days and they were zero. They are still zero and i have had to just top up with another 50ml of cubes. They first gave me 500ml of cubes and told me to use 450ml so i have used the leftover 50ml. They are available for sale in places now and so it worked out in 6 months i had used about £3 because i have seen the price is around £35 for 500ml thats if my maths are right.
I do nothing to themat all just topped them up.

WATER IS AGREAT THING BUT ITS WET!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back