Si's Low Tech Tank Journal

what is the lighting on the tank Si? If it's doable you could always opt for Easycarbo. When you say the C02 isn't working, what do you mean, as in now flowing properly or not distributing properly?

Two T8 20W bulbs with a 7 hour photoperiod, on a 30G/110L tank. I used to use easycarbo and although the growth won't be as rapid I would hope the algae would go. Thats assuming it is the co2.

All I mean is that the algae is a problem, and the main culprit appears to be co2... If you think otherwise please tell me :lol:

i'm sure that'd work if you're decided on getting rid of the C02. The lighting is still relatively low isn't it.

So I thought i'd try a few odd ideas to see if I could improve co2 circulation.

Current test is with the diffuser under the filter intake. Doesn't seem as effective as in, doesn't seem to make the drop checker green-yellow but still on the yellowy side of green so I'm seeing how it goes.

The intake and output are both at the back on the right side of the tank now and the koralia is top left side. There simply isn't enough flow without the diffuser being infront of the koralia, which limits the spread of the koralias flow... a pic would probably be easier to understand but 3rd year at uni and i'm a bit busy :lol:

Put some grass in there similar to parvula but longer. can't remember the name...? So trying to stick with co2 to get this carpet going along quicker...

SNV10933.jpg

SNV11073.jpg

New Longer hairgrass (not sure what the name for this is?)

SNV10966.jpg

Ludwigia repens 'rubin'

SNV10888.jpg

Bamboo shrimp

SNV10979.jpg

Couple of my amano shrimp

SNV10965.jpg

Cockatoo

SNV10948.jpg

SNV10959.jpg

Kuhli's

SNV11015.jpg

Oto

SNV11004.jpg

diamond tetra

SNV10951.jpg

that looks better Si, has the algae cleared a bit? If so what approach did you take?

The Ludwigia looks super healthy mate!

The BBA didn't like the powerhead in the far right corner with the diffuser underneath, so I put it on the front right side with the diffuser underneath... that and 5ml of easycarbo did most of the trick, as well as a good trim.

However, I moved stuff around last week again to see if I could rid of the green spot! So the filter intake is on the far right corner with the diffuser under that, and the powerhead on the left middle side.

Trial and error really :)

Cheers for the compliments :good:

I wonder what the mix of the two hairgrasses will look like eventually. Probably algae ridden and horribly wrong :lol: I like the taller one, it moves in the current gently, quite relaxing!

This is looking so much better... Much more clean, which I like a lot. I really want a bamboo shrimp. Are they hard to keep? Maybe some for my ADA. It'd certainly like the flow...

Cheers :good:

I must have had them for about a month now and haven't fed them once. Their little fans pick up algae and what not, so they're perfect for planted tanks. Apparently their colour means how happy they are..darker with the stripe being better so mine seem happy! One has definately shelled so I would say they're easy to keep, in mature planted tanks.

They're interesting little critters :)

for you LL :D

SNV11098.jpg

Also, the grass is growing long! Needs trimming.

SNV11103.jpg

I think I might mix the grasses up and see what effect it has. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've never seen it done. The longer one seems to grow quicker.

Going on holiday for a week soon.

Whats the best route to take? Do I need to turn co2 off?

im going on holiday soon too, going to leave mine running on a timer

amazing looking tank aswell btw

im going on holiday soon too, going to leave mine running on a timer

amazing looking tank aswell btw

Cheers :good:

I have it all on timers already, I've just heard of people turning of co2 if they go away.. not sure whether to or not :huh:

You're just making me want the shrimp more... I'm going to go steal your shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Back