Si's Low Tech Tank Journal

The full tank shot looks really nice but that bba is looking pretty bad close up. If I was you I'd get rid of as many of the affected leaves as possible and then add a younbg SAE to deal with the rest. My bba was just as bad and the Flourish excel overdose and SAE addition really worked for me.

As for the layout, I think it's very affective with the java fern feature and foreground plants. I'd be tempted to add more grass on the right and move the crypts to the front of the wood.

Thanks for the reply :good:

Don't SAE's get quite big? the tanks only 109ltrs

Cheers, do you mean swapping the grass with the crypts basically? or just to move the crypts back and put the grass there?

Thanks for the reply :good:

Don't SAE's get quite big? the tanks only 109ltrs

Cheers, do you mean swapping the grass with the crypts basically? or just to move the crypts back and put the grass there?

Yeah they get to a fair size, I've got one in both my tanks now, the smaller being 125L. I think 109L would be fine for one on its own.

Keep the crypts, but have them in front of the wood, so between the grass and the wood basically. Fill the rest of the foreground with grass, would look great IMO.

Hmmm, not sure about the SAE, would like one but I've seen the speed they move in huge tanks and I don't feel fair keeping it in mine...

I have considered that idea... Would probably grow quicker thanks to there being more light in that corner too. What do the others think? :p

Trim the anubia and remove infected leaves. Do not worry if you are just down to a rhizome and roots. This is ok. I've grown complete anubia plants from like an inch of rhizome and some roots. It'll recover. Where is the anubia? I tend to shade mine. And if they are exposed, they have good flow.

Otherwise, tank looks pretty good. Grass is much-improved. Just continue to keep the tank very clean. I'm on a "clean" phase right now, so bear with me.

Liz

Trim the anubia and remove infected leaves. Do not worry if you are just down to a rhizome and roots. This is ok. I've grown complete anubia plants from like an inch of rhizome and some roots. It'll recover. Where is the anubia? I tend to shade mine. And if they are exposed, they have good flow.

Otherwise, tank looks pretty good. Grass is much-improved. Just continue to keep the tank very clean. I'm on a "clean" phase right now, so bear with me.

Liz

Cheers for the reply :good:

Will do. The anubias is at the far left hand side of the tank, under a fair bit of shade because the lighting isn't very effective on the far sides and its also overshadowed by a java fern slightly.

Thanks :) I really like clean tanks but that corner where the rubin is there isn't much flow and when I tried to put more flow there, thats when I started getting the algae problems, probably because the co2 wasn't circulating properly. So there is a lot of build up of dirt on the right side which also happens to be the side thats actually on show the most! :rolleyes:

So unfortunately the diffuser is in a ugly place, but appears to be the most functional.

What do you think about putting the parvula on the right hand side of the tank as well?

So unfortunately the diffuser is in a ugly place, but appears to be the most functional.

What do you think about putting the parvula on the right hand side of the tank as well?

The diffusor goes where it is most functional and allows for best circulation. You can opt to take it out for photos, or not. I tend to leave my hardware in.

I think some parvula there would look quite nice.

Have you thought about adding a little Koralia where the Rubin is? Or take a fine syphon tube and just do some clean-up. It's a chore keeping sand super clean, but with some clever syphoning, you can.

Liz

The diffusor goes where it is most functional and allows for best circulation. You can opt to take it out for photos, or not. I tend to leave my hardware in.

I think some parvula there would look quite nice.

Have you thought about adding a little Koralia where the Rubin is? Or take a fine syphon tube and just do some clean-up. It's a chore keeping sand super clean, but with some clever syphoning, you can.

Liz

Hmm, ok. I think I might spread it out a bit then!

I suppose I could add another koralia, theres already one in there so I didn't want to clutter the place up too much!

I syphon everyweek, with a syphon and a substrate cleaner. I think I just have the messiest shrimp on this forum :blink:

If you have any other ideas to improve the scape I'm all ears :lol:

My new shrimp :p they've been in a couple weeks now and have settled in nicely.

SNV10870.jpg

Algae still isn't quite under control... although it seems to be less of BBA and kind of green spots coming up on the plants now lol... although I noticed the green spots form BBA... not sure there though.

I have some java moss and java fern if anyone wants any? Lot of growth in the tank at the moment so just trimmed back a load of it cos its getting too much.

Liking the tank and the Bamboo's, what foreground plant you got there? Looks a little low to be hair grass?

Cheers :good:

I think there are a couple types of eleocharis, but this is e. parvula. Its quite low cos the lightings only low... It will grow a few inches in a high tech tank. Its started growing to the right of the tank, but I'm gunna buy a bit more in a couple weeks to help it along :good: The crypts in the foreground are x willisii and the other one I can't remember... I can find out if you want though.

Its cool, just wondered, i'm in about twelve minds for my foreground plant at the moment.

My new shrimp :p they've been in a couple weeks now and have settled in nicely.

SNV10870.jpg

Algae still isn't quite under control... although it seems to be less of BBA and kind of green spots coming up on the plants now lol... although I noticed the green spots form BBA... not sure there though.

I love these shrimp. :wub:

Its cool, just wondered, i'm in about twelve minds for my foreground plant at the moment.

I know how you feel :lol:

Its wenditii 'tropica' btw. Really nice foreground plant, done much better than x willisii, more colour, faster growth, more upright.

I love these shrimp. :wub:

:hyper: They are such interesting little characters. I would get more if I could...!

I'm wondering whether to turn co2 off. It just doesn't seem to be working very well in my eyes. Got rid of most of the BBA, by cutting away loads of plants and within a week pretty much all of the plant mass has grown back. Older leaves on the ech. osiris and java fern especially seem to be effected by green spot now. The only thing between BBA appearing is the easycarbo overdosing. Other than that plant growth is excellent its just a shame the leaves can't last all that long in the tank...

I don't understand because the co2 has good flow... the whole tank has good circulation now... not sure whether the needle valve is bad quality or something? Just doesn't seem to work anyway!

Most reactions

trending

Back