Siphoning With A Garden Hose

tibby25731

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Manchester, England
I have bought a 20ft garden hose from Tesco - bargain at £6!
So this weekend I am gonna try to start up a siphon from my 4ft tank. No WAY am I sucking on that thing! I have read that you can start the water on full blast for like a second or however long it takes to hit the tank, then stop in and take the hose off the tap and it will create a vacuum and start siphoning out?
Has anyone done this? Is it tricky to get right? Any hints or tips? Or other ideas for how to do it???
 
I have a "T" piece fitted not far from the tap end of the hose. The end of the T has a 2 ft length of hose that points into a drain - this has to be lower than the tank.

Plug the 'drain' hose . Turn on tap (the other end of the hose is in the tank by the way), when hose is full, turn off tap, remove plug & siphon away. To refill tank, plug up the drain end, turn on tap, tank fills.
 
I have a "T" piece fitted not far from the tap end of the hose. The end of the T has a 2 ft length of hose that points into a drain - this has to be lower than the tank.

Plug the 'drain' hose . Turn on tap (the other end of the hose is in the tank by the way), when hose is full, turn off tap, remove plug & siphon away. To refill tank, plug up the drain end, turn on tap, tank fills.


does anyone have a drain at tank level????, no need for a T thingy, youll be fine as you are
 
ahh right, the sink, why didnt you say so lol

excuse me if i sound a bit thick here,its not unheard of, but how does the water climb the length of pipe into the sink, cos obviously there will be a drop into the middle where it trails towards the sink??
i dont understand it the way rob said it
shelagh xxx
 
this is my detailed sketch... by hand :shifty: ...

3834409440a7745229452l.jpg


you only need to suck until the water is at the bold line (no where near your mouth) and gravity will do the rest for you.
 
Now see, that's the problem. As LONG as i don't get poo in my mouth.... lol. If there is a chance i am gonna eat fish poo, then I would rather use the gravel vac and bucket thank you! :P
 
I have a "T" piece fitted not far from the tap end of the hose. The end of the T has a 2 ft length of hose that points into a drain - this has to be lower than the tank.

Plug the 'drain' hose . Turn on tap (the other end of the hose is in the tank by the way), when hose is full, turn off tap, remove plug & siphon away. To refill tank, plug up the drain end, turn on tap, tank fills.


does anyone have a drain at tank level????, no need for a T thingy, youll be fine as you are

Errrr, the drain is below tank level (as my post said), otherwise the siphon will not work. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'drain'. It doesn't have to be a drain - but wherever you want the waste water to go. My 'drain' is a downstairs toilet.
 
You would be sucking on a 20 foot hose a real long time before you get a mouthful of anything. I use a 50 foot hose to drain, it is usually attached to a large pump. When I detach it from the pump, I blow in it to clear it. It takes a huge lungful of air to get the water out of 50 feet of hose, You would be sucking until you are purple to get a mouthful out of 50 feet, with 20 feet you may turn a nice pale shade of blue.

Ever swim in a lake, pond, or river? Your tank water is cleaner.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top