Silly Question: Wash your hands?

starzfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Silly Question: do you wash your hands before handling aquarium equipment/cleaning your tank? A bunch of people say to not use soap on anything aquarium related. Does it include your hands? Sorry, its a very silly/random question.

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I will use a mild soap and a good rinse, and then rinse with distilled vinegar and again with tap. Then tanks get a dose of conditioner when I am done. If I am going to be working on the tanks for awhile, I use shoulder length gloves.

OliveFish05

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I use a mild foaming hand soap that rinses off easy, and just let the water run the soap off really well

fisman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just rinse my hands off with hot water. Then I dry them off with a paper towel.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Silly Question: do you wash your hands before handling aquarium equipment/cleaning your tank? A bunch of people say to not use soap on anything aquarium related. Does it include your hands? Sorry, its a very silly/random question.
I always use super hot water and make sure to dry my hands with a clean towel.

I have used soap in the past, but I really prefer no chemicals.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have anything on your skin (perfumes, moisturising cream, hand sanitiser residue, etc), then just work in the tank. However, if you have anything on your skin, wash it off first otherwise it can poison the fish.

Avoid using soaps that contain perfumes because these leave a residue on the skin.

Avoid using hand sanitizer if you have access to soap and water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online